Light software for old netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

still same, not a big issue for me, it worth the security granted. the only new features is the MBR protection and write cache that allow you on shadow mode to write on RAM instead of the HDD.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
For Windows I would recommend Panda AV Free. Light and effective. Uninstall java. I use Slimjet browser on all machines, which purges its memory periodically.

But I really would recommend LinuxLiteOS. It's a smooth transition from Windows. It's beautiful, effective and efficient, and you automatically save big by not installing an AV. With Wine you can run almost any Windows prog. Helpful forum too.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I have a core solo HP Mini with 1 Gig memory. Here are the apps I use

Antivirus: 360 TS
Browser: Firefox
Office Suite: MS Office 2010
Graphic Viewer: Picasa, FastStone Image Viewer
Graphic Editor: Photoshop CS6
Multimedia Format Converter: Format Factory
Video Player: Gom, Klite
Audio Player: XMPlay
Archiver 7zip
and a lot of Portable Applications

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
For those with 1-2 Gig RAM, why do you use Firefox? From my experience Chrome is faster even with those amount of RAM. Firefox lags very much especially when I browse Facebook or Instagram. But I don't experience frequent lags with Chrome. Yes, Chrome still lags. There are still micro-lags, but it takes a long usage for Chrome to lag very much (i.e. when RAM is almost full).

Now, on my new laptop, Intel Core i5-5200U with 4 Gig RAM, the performance is still relatively the same. I'm still using Chrome because Firefox hangs and lags frequently especially with heavy-image sites, which I don't encounter with Chrome.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
For those with 1-2 Gig RAM, why do you use Firefox?

Because I like it perform better than Chrome. The desktop I'm using also uses Chrome. It has 2 gig of memory. BTW, it's not my surfing habit to go to heavy-image sites.

Reactions: XhenEd

Blitz

Thread author
Jan 27, 2015
I thinking about few ways with this netbook:

1. Just sold it, or give away for somebody, - it,s old, weak, and take place at home, useless...
2. Upgrade with cheap ram up to 2-3 GB, and cheap ssd.
3. Try some options with windows 7, and Ubuntu(I never use ubuntu), also I can wait windows 10, and upgrade for free from starter.

Also I find something helpful in another forum: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11728-optimize-windows-7-a.html These optimizations is good? Thanks for answers, when I have more time, I think try something. Thanks :)

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
ubuntu isn't going to perform much better than Win7. You need a lighter linux. And Win7 starter can't handle more than 2GB Ram.

Blitz

Thread author
Jan 27, 2015
One more question, should I install drivers manualy, or just run windows update? A lot of people say just use windows update, but some features like wifi, usb ports and etc doesn't work after win update.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
One more question, should I install drivers manualy, or just run windows update? A lot of people say just use windows update, but some features like wifi, usb ports and etc doesn't work after win update.

Mine doesn't. even after an update. Both desktop and netbook.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I just read today that you install driver updates only through the manufacturer's website or updater. For example, I should only update my drivers through my HP approved updater since I have an HP laptop. Windows Update is generic, thus it will advise you to download and install drivers that are not even compatible with your computer's system.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I don't know that there's a hard rule. Sometimes drivers have more or less features on the OEM site than on the component's site. For instance, Synaptics has better touchpad drivers on its own site. But sometimes the OEM will have unlocked extra features, as with Toshiba and the Elan touchpad. Thus, with WU it depends where MS is getting the driver from, component maker or OEM.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Blitz : √ Manual check from a manufacturer website is much safer and Windows updates are more on minor updates of current drivers besides common search to detect missing parts.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Windows Update drivers, more often than rarely, don't work or are incomplete. One example is that if you only use Windows Update nVidia drivers, you'll get the video driver and GeForce Experience and maybe the HD audio but you won't get PhysX. If you game, you want PhysX and I think Experience is ineffective bloat.

Blitz

Thread author
Jan 27, 2015
Dumb question, but I should use Adguard software, or Adguard addon for browser?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Blitz :With the software of Adguard, a full control of configuration can be done meanwhile extensions are primarily focus on adblocking and malware/phishing protection with selecting the subscription.

rodocop

Level 1
Verified
Jun 12, 2015
What I can add here...

First, when I'm faced to Win7 on 1Gb-RAM PC - I suppose to begin with switch off some autostarts.
And the primary target is Windows Defender - it doesn't provide ANY real defense here while being a big resource hog!

Whether you are using some AV-suite (I recommend Forticlient or BitDefender Free) or not - you don't need Windows Defender. Go to Services and stop it - then set it to disabled.

If your AV-suite has inbuilt firewall - aslo stop and disable Windows Firewall. You don't need two. (My humble opinion is that you don't need even one - but it's up to you).

Also I usually do one big system update and switch Windows Update and BITS services off.
Look for other unneeded services to stop and disable: wireless setup if you use wired connection; WIA - if you don't use scanners; touch options - if no touchscreen present; smart-cards if you don't use them (I'm sure - you don't! ;)) etc. Google (or search this site) for safe services setups, examples, how-tos and explanations if you need them.

Security: trying to save resources I suggest to refrain from AV-suites. Use EMET for hardening against exploits, SecureFolders for exe run control, AnVir Task Manager for autostart, processes and services control, and management and other useful things; Filter web content with K9Web Protection or OpenDNS or Privoxy, use AdBlock/uBlock/AdGuard/AdFender (some of these filtering tools are incompatible though - so you cannot use K9 along with AdFender but most other combination do the job fine).
Use non-mainstream applications for web-related activities: browser, e-mail client, messenger, PDF-reader etc.

Communications: I use Trillian with skypekit instead Skype itself (this way lacks of videocalls, but saves resources and keeps you more secured; you can use it as resident app and load Skype on demand for video.). Google for 'Trillian 5.6 + Skype Kit'

Browser: I've made tests that show that K-Meleon is the most lightweight among modern actual browsers. And its very secure, capable and customizable one so you can trust me that you cannot find better for low-end PC. Or make your own tests.
Chrome eats all free RAM (which is rest after Win7 core load) with only 5 tabs. And every extensions make the end closer ;-)

Also autostart question is the reason not to use Chrome, Adobe Reader, Java etc. as all of them add their update services in auto position.
Avoid such apps and replace them by alternatives (K-Meleon, Foxit...). The same goes for Flash Player - I suggest to add portable ESR-build of flash np-plugin (unless you use Chrome or its clones already containing their own).

Get sure you really need .NET. Even if you do - I suggest to uninstall your current .NET 4 copy with all the updates got for it; then download the latest package of .NET 4.6 - and reinstall it. This should make your WinSxS folder more compact.
MS says that you can run any .NET app having only last .NET package (some file editing may be needed for some old .NET apps).

Moreover, you may need to make full cleaning of WinSxS folder if you are limited in hard disk space. Use KB2852386 to learn how to do this.

Office: I can state that SoftMaker's FreeOffice is the most lightweight option. You can also consider such tools like Atlantis Word Processor (non-free but extremely lightweight Word alternative).
Also I can recommend Sylpheed as 'frugal' e-mail client.

Media: I use old good Apollo for audio (XmPlay is good alternative). And suppose CherryPlayer for complex media handling (audio, video, webradio streams, Youtube stuff and vk.com audiocollection).

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.