Advice Request Lingering TCP connection?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
using chrome this morning thru my usual (& safe) vpn connection connected to my bank. I was also running crowdinspect in the background. When I was finished with bank, I closed the tab, opened a new tab to a blank page so I was expecting to see no connections. crowdinspect continued to show that I had 1 TCP "established" connection to my bank. I thought that was odd or a mistake in crowdinspect so I opened tcpview and it showed the same "established" connection. I had to completely closed chrome to break this ongoing established connection. Is this normal condition with chrome or all browsers. You think you closed the last connection, but it's still "established." I thought I was careful in that I had only the bank page open, I exited the bank, then closed its tab, went to a new tab, and then refreshed the blank tab, thinking that would flush everything, but that was not the case.

Reactions: upnorth and Rengar
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

These are TCP sessions that haven't expired and chrome has a LONG expiration date, sometimes an hour depending. Also, some sites keep the session open by sending bits of background data. Chrome has a couple of settings you should examine;

(Chrome Settings->Advanced->Content->Background Sync)
Do not allow recently closed sites to finish sending and receiving data (toggle this on)

Also, unpin your chrome icon from taskbar, right click the icon on desktop, select properties, then append the following commands to the properties;

--disable-background-networking --disable-component-extensions-with-background-pages --dns-prefetch-disable --no-pings --disable-logging

So it may look like this;
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disable-background-networking --disable-component-extensions-with-background-pages --dns-prefetch-disable --no-pings --disable-logging

Re-pin the chrome icon to your taskbar. Now you should NOT see sessions being left open, especially not for hours, like before.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
ForgottenSeer 58943 do you know what --enable-potentially-annoying-security-features command is?

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

do you know what --enable-potentially-annoying-security-features command is?

"
The first basically means that any interaction with non secure websites (HTTP, without the padlock) from secure websites (HTTPS, with a padlock) will be blocked.
Examples –
– A secure website shows images from an insecure website – the images will not be shown.
– A secure website submits a form to an insecure website – the form will not be submitted.
And so on.

The second means that powerful web platform features will only be available to secure websites (the user must permit them, of course).
Examples –
– Geolocation (getting your precise location).
– GetUserMedia (camera or microphone access)."

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
like Webroot.
Lol!

Examples –
– A secure website shows images from an insecure website – the images will not be shown.
– A secure website submits a form to an insecure website – the form will not be submitted.
And so on.
Many thanks!
Btw The beta version of chrome has a new flag call GPU AppContainer Lockdown.i enabled it.

Last edited:
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
These are TCP sessions that haven't expired and chrome has a LONG expiration date, sometimes an hour depending. Also, some sites keep the session open by sending bits of background data. Chrome has a couple of settings you should examine;

Do not allow recently closed sites to finish sending and receiving data (toggle this on)

Also, unpin your chrome icon from taskbar, right click the icon on desktop, select properties, then append the following commands to the properties;

--disable-background-networking --disable-component-extensions-with-background-pages --dns-prefetch-disable --no-pings --disable-logging

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disable-background-networking --disable-component-extensions-with-background-pages --dns-prefetch-disable --no-pings --disable-logging

Re-pin the chrome icon to your taskbar. Now you should NOT see sessions being left open, especially not for hours, like before.

will do! thanks!

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

lingering... still, but I have no patience to wait for an hour :sick: but did as you both suggest disabled backgroundsync and appended the commands to chrome icon:
opened chrome, went to bank as before, closed bank, TCP with bank remained "established" for at least 5 mins. I find this "annoying" (you're not paranoid if you are being watched) After 5 min I closed chrome. I guess from NOW on, I'll be closing chrome after visiting certain sites. :censored: But do appreciate your feedback, I'm sure things are better having done as you suggest. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.