Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nige_40

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
tapoo said:
do you use linux? if yes, how, and what is your view about linux??

My laptop has Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. Ubuntu is my secondary OS.
On my sisters' laptop Linux Mint 13 which is based on Ubuntu 12.04 is the main OS. And it has a Windows XP in VirtualBox for using MS Office. :D

Cool set-up you have going,

Linux Mint 13 which is based on Ubuntu 12.04 < So True, it's Mainly a Beefed up version of Mint with extra tools and stuff.

But it's crazy to read that it's based around Debian < (info via the Link I posted on Tapoo's post)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Before when the case of using old desktop machine which is Windows XP, I need to use Linux to make it light and responsive however no one could really proved when famous OS meets with its popularity.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Yes!

Dual booting with Windows 8 & Linux Mint 14 ;D

I'm using Linux to learn about using the terminal and how Linux works and is different from Windows. I am really enjoying it. A couple years ago I used to always end up back using Windows. Now I'm determined to keep using both. I love how you can customized Linux to whatever you want. One day I hope I can learn how to use and install Arch Linux. I always found Linux to boot up much quicker than Windows, but now since 8 came out it's amazing how fast 8 can boot. It's faster booting up than Linux Mint for me.

I've tried Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and when I installed it the Wifi and all that worked perfect. When I rebooted after the installation has finished. I noticed that my Wifi was acting up and the internet was slowed down to a crawl. And then I went to Google stuff on my phone to see what the issue was. And I noticed my Wifi wasn't working on my phone! So I turns off my laptop and the internet starts working again. It turns out it was the horrible Broadcom driver for my Wifi card that Ubuntu auto used. When I fired up Mint I didn't have this issue. I checked and seen that it wasn't enabled and my Wifi worked great. So somehow that driver caused my whole network to stop working until my laptop was off, using Windows or of course removing the driver. I then had enough of Ubuntu and it's unity and switched to Mint and found it so much better.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
I have Ubuntu running on my system, as a secondary system works like a charm. Specially good for parent's as they have a habit of clicking stuff w/o reading :p. Also installed Xubuntu on my uncle's pc which he is liking very much. :D

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Malware Man said:
Yes!

I'm using Linux to learn about using the terminal and how Linux works and is different from Windows. I am really enjoying it. A couple years ago I used to always end up back using Windows. Now I'm determined to keep using both. I love how you can customized Linux to whatever you want. One day I hope I can learn how to use and install Arch Linux. I always found Linux to boot up much quicker than Windows, but now since 8 came out it's amazing how fast 8 can boot. It's faster booting up than Linux Mint for me.

I've tried Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and when I installed it the Wifi and all that worked perfect. When I rebooted after the installation has finished. I noticed that my Wifi was acting up and the internet was slowed down to a crawl. And then I went to Google stuff on my phone to see what the issue was. And I noticed my Wifi wasn't working on my phone! So I turns off my laptop and the internet starts working again. It turns out it was the horrible Broadcom driver for my Wifi card that Ubuntu auto used. When I fired up Mint I didn't have this issue. I checked and seen that it wasn't enabled and my Wifi worked great. So somehow that driver caused my whole network to stop working until my laptop was off, using Windows or of course removing the driver. I then had enough of Ubuntu and it's unity and switched to Mint and found it so much better.

Hmmm wierd, i kinda installed Ubuntu and it's distros on 10 different PC's with different configs, and it never had any issue with driver's it auto installed practically every driver i had to install.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
The best way to bank, shop etc online is to have a linux installation if there is space on HDD and do the work safely. In this way Windows don't need addons and apps to secure your transactions. Not to mention that there is usually a risk as no security product provides perfect protection.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Nikos751: Puppy Linux is one of the distro does continuously using RAM caches and saving a snapshot for the hard drive is likely a matter 2 GB or more just depends on its data, and overall no installation needed ;) :).

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
jamescv7 said:
Nikos751: Puppy Linux is one of the distro does continuously using RAM caches and saving a snapshot for the hard drive is likely a matter 2 GB or more just depends on its data, and overall no installation needed ;) :).

Yes indeed, it's great!! :)

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
mercurial said:
Malware Man said:
Yes!

Hmmm wierd, i kinda installed Ubuntu and it's distros on 10 different PC's with different configs, and it never had any issue with driver's it auto installed practically every driver i had to install.
It is very unusual, it never used to happen on my old laptop. Both of them have different kinds of wireless cards though. My old one had a Atheros one and this one has a Broadcom. This laptop's wireless doesn't even work out of the box on Windows 7 but does in Linux and this came with Windows 8 of course. My old laptop's wireless worked out of the box with Windows 7 and Linux and it came with Vista.

I'm just going to assume the Broadcom driver is faulty since it works amazing once it's removed.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Now I'm on my way to switch from Windows to openSUSE :D

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
pablozi said:
Now I'm on my way to switch from Windows to openSUSE :D

I've been watching videos on openSUSE. It looks really nice. I'm just used to using Ubuntu based distros so all the commands are the same in the terminal. I'm interested in learning the new commands for openSUSE. It seems no matter what Linux I try, I always end up back on Windows. I would like to switch fully but just cannot seem to do it.

At first I hated Windows 8, now I am really liking it.

Good luck with openSUSE. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.