Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Clem said:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 13 “Maya”.

Available in two editions, Linux Mint 13 features the choice between a productive, stable and mature MATE 1.2 desktop and the brand new modern-looking and exciting Cinnamon 1.4. These two desktops are among the best available, they’re perfectly integrated within Linux Mint and represent great alternatives to Gnome 2 users. Linux Mint 13 is also an LTS (Long Term Support) release and it will be supported until April 2017.

Read More

ranget

Dec 8, 2011
RE: Linux Mint 13 “Maya” RC released!

:D something new to Play with Other than Ubuntu

it's time i thought it will take for ever to see this

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Final version released! Sorry for being late.

They also released an OEM version: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2046

P

Plexx

Cool! will start downloading it since I was quite happy with version 11 and 12.

Thanks for sharing

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
This looks as a well-polished version of Mint, their work on Cinnamon is impressive. However it probably is a bit less stable then Ubuntu 12.04, in the last 5 days I noticed few small issues:
  • Sound output device sometimes switches from analog to HDMI after a restart, ignoring my previous setting.
  • Cinnamon locks up and needed to be restarted a couple of times.
  • VLC caused slowdowns a couple of times after fullscreen/windowed switch.
But I consider these to be minor issues and I like the over-all look & feel of Cinnamon. The fact that necessary 3rd party stuff is there by default and especially the fact that it looks and feels similar to Windows, probably makes this distro the best one to try for ex-Windows users. I also like their default software choices like VLC and Banshee.

P

Plexx

Ok im trying to figure this one out:
LM10 (Julia): had LXDE, KDE and Gnome
LM11 (Katya): had LXDE and Gnome (at this stage KDE was gone)
LM12 (Lisa): had LXDE, Gnome + Mate and the return of KDE.
Until here I am happy, but then...
LM13 (Maya): Cinnamon and Mate only.
What happened to LXDE?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
It was discontinued. From Linux Mint Blog (close to the bottom of the page):
After a poll was organized, it was decided the focus was going to be given to the most popular desktops within the Mint community. More focus was given to Xfce and the LXDE and Fluxbox editions which were previously only available in 32-bit were discontinued.

P

Plexx

teaches me a lesson to fully read everything.

It is sad that Linux Mint will no longer have LXDE and Xfce desktops.

Those are considerably light.

Still waiting for download of Maya to finish.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
There are so many desktop environments for Linux... I know that Linux is all about choice but sometimes I wonder if splitting the number of developers between many desktops is a good thing to do. Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on a couple of desktops and solve as many issues as possible with them?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Why is it that all the Linux Mint have different names? like Lisa and not Maya?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Biozfear said:

LXDE and Fluxbox are discontinued, Linux Mint 13 Xfce is in Release Candidate state right now (read more on Mint Blog)

P

Plexx

bogdan said:
Biozfear said:

LXDE and Fluxbox are discontinued, Linux Mint 13 Xfce is in Release Candidate state right now (read more on Mint Blog)

It is a pitty they are discontinued since LXDE and Fluxbox environment are easy to use and the fact that do not take much resources and can be installed without a problem in older machines. Xfce can also be but does require slightly more resources.

Will wait for Xfce to be final in Mint 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.