Danger Local Host Security Configuration 2018

Last updated
Oct 31, 2018
Windows Edition
Home
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Vivaldi with Adguard (Desktop)
Maintenance tools
CCleaner Pro
File and Photo backup
OneDrive
System recovery
N/A

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@ : please kindly consider:

• Enable UAC, at least, at default level.
  • Please specify the exact version of Kaspersky product You have installed.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: Norton Power Eraser and MalWareBytes 4 Windows Free.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and not only in cloud.
Thanks for sharing Your config :)

L

Local Host

@ : please kindly consider:

• Enable UAC, at least, at default level.
  • Please specify the exact version of Kaspersky product You have installed.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: Norton Power Eraser and MalWareBytes 4 Windows Free.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and not only in cloud.
Thanks for sharing Your config :)
I appreciate the feedback but:
  • I don't need UAC at Default level (it's slow and I want the Desktop always responsive and fast).
  • Zemana Anti-Malware > Malwarebytes (don't wanna bloat the Desktop with Software as it's mainly for gaming).
  • I won't be doing disk backups as it takes to much space and time, I rather waste formatting and making a clean install if something happens.
Do you use Do not dim (UAC), because the secure UAC desktop takes a long time to load, or another reason?
It can be slow yes, is the main reason I use "Do not dim", I want the Desktop responsive and fast at all times, which is not possible with default UAC for me.

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Based on the reasons you've given for UAC, backup utlities & MBAM, I'll have a difference approach to commenting.

Maybe consider adding to your config
  • Scriptsafe & Privacy Possum for Chrome
  • Bleachbit could used to replace CCleaner, but that's up to you. Only offering as an open source alternative
  • NPE, adwcleaner & Emsisoft Emergency Kit to complement Zemana (zemana can be aggressive).
  • Adding Revo Uninstaller to system utilities
  • Maybe add OSArmor 1.3 to complement Kaspersky
  • Maybe add Sandboxie for more browser security and protection
Apart from this not a bad setup at all! Thanks for posting.

~LDogg

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
  • Bleachbit could used to replace CCleaner, but that's up to you. Only offering as an open source alternative
  • NPE, adwcleaner & Emsisoft Emergency Kit to complement Zemana (zemana can be aggressive).
  • Maybe add OSArmor
You've kind just copied and pasted what I said. xD
Unless there was a purpose for it, as it's correct info to state?

~LDogg

L

Local Host

Based on the reasons you've given for UAC, backup utlities & MBAM, I'll have a difference approach to commenting.

Maybe consider adding to your config
  • Maybe add OSArmor 1.3 to complement Kaspersky
  • Maybe add Sandboxie for more browser security and protection
Apart from this not a bad setup at all! Thanks for posting.

~LDogg
Forgot to mention I'm using CCleaner Professional and WFC with Strict Rules.

Thanks for the OSArmor recommendation, I'll use it!

Reactions: harlan4096
L

Local Host

Alright made some major changes to my Security Configuration, as right now what I need is Security against dangerous 0-day, and not common infections (those are easily avoided with common sense).

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Consider adding a System and Data backup tool.

System: Macrium Reflect
Data: Rollback Rx Home.

Both free.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.