lock screen demanding my google password

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Greetings, I recently did factory reset because a screen demanding my Google password was blocking me on every action I took. I was already logged in to Google,so knew something was wrong. Any info about this would be appreciated. Thanks,and glad to be here.

Reactions: Cowpipe and Dima007

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Greetings, I recently did factory reset because a screen demanding my Google password was blocking me on every action I took. I was already logged in to Google,so knew something was wrong. Any info about this would be appreciated. Thanks,and glad to be here.

Hi and welcome to MalwareTips :)

I should be able to give you some information on this, but there are quite a lot of different variations of the same scam, so a bit more information is needed (if it's alright to ask :))

Firstly, did you notice anything unusual leading up to this? For example, did you receive any emails from Google asking for verification or password reset or blocked account, increase your message storage quota etc...

Secondly, was this on your desktop or on Android, Iphone etc?

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Hi and welcome to MalwareTips :)

I should be able to give you some information on this, but there are quite a lot of different variations of the same scam, so a bit more information is needed (if it's alright to ask :))

Firstly, did you notice anything unusual leading up to this? For example, did you receive any emails from Google asking for verification or password reset or blocked account, increase your message storage quota etc...

Secondly, was this on your desktop or on Android, Iphone etc?

Hi,and thanks for asking. The OS WAS HTC EVO 4G LTE, Android. There were unaccounted battery drain, out going data almost as much as incoming, dropped calls,ear piece volume or quality was slightly off,and I was seeing work from home ads in comments section of zdnet.com. Finally,there was a pop-up scareware ad on a site I visit somewhat regularly. Not long after,I decided to initiate two step verification on my Google account. Just as I finished,that's when the screen showed up asking for my password,but did not display my user name like usual. The screen was using the default colors for native browser,and I was using Chrome 35 mobile as my primary browser. Like I said,I was already signed into Google,and any other Google sites sign me in automatically after that. As soon as I tried to clear the screen,I started recieving two notices in my drawer,one was green block with a g in it,like email,but should have been blue if legit. Another notice seemed like an internal communication, and my clear button was gone when I swiped down. So I swiped them sideways to clear and the came right back,along with the screen asking/demanding my password.
(now let me say,I in no way interacted with the scareware ad,which said I had four viruses,with two buttons,decline,or scan. There was an x to clear,but I did not touch that either. I hit return,cleared that site,and the one that lead me there, then cleared my cashe and browser history.) It was maybe 1hr later when all the above took place. I finally got into setting to factory reset. Then about a day later,it started again,this time I went to chrome sync and cleared data before factory reset and no problems since. Also I did not receive any email about the things you mentioned.the notices came after the blocking maneuvers of the password screen. And I am very careful to never open links on unsolicited email. I would get the occasional spam like anyone else. Now for the kicker, I had installed Kaspersky mobile about a week earlier,and it completely failed me. It just sat there,deaf,dumb,and stupid. All my apps come from play store including my new Avast and Malwarebites together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
@oneeye Thanks for the info!

It sounds a lot like your problems came from installing a fake Kaspersky mobile app. These look exactly the same as the original, but don't do anything other than show ads, and try to SMS premium rate numbers and other nasty activities, certainly no useful virus removing activities. The Google play store is riddled with them and they often have very high ratings and lots of reviews (these are all fake, or from users who have been duped by the fake app too).

If you have your smartphone handy and you're reading this post from it, follow these instructions:

Firstly, follow these instructions (direct from the HTC support site) which will allow you to install the application:
  1. From the Home screen, tap All apps.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Security.
  4. Tap to check Unknown sources.
You can then find the official Kaspersky Antivirus application here:

http://kms.kaspersky.com

The link will automatically download a .apk file to your handset, you should see it if you pull down the notifications from the top. It should be something like kisa_11.3.0.623.apk or kms_10.1.32_en-us.apk ~ depending on which version is automatically downloaded for you.

Tap the file listed to open it up and follow the on screen instructions to install. Update the definitions and run a scan, and of course be sure to post the results up here :)

Unfortunately resetting to the factory settings won't get rid of a malware infection as this only resets the settings and doesn't delete any malicious files which might be hiding etc. The malware then changes the settings back to what it likes and you're back to square one.

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
@oneeye Thanks for the info!

It sounds a lot like your problems came from installing a fake Kaspersky mobile app. These look exactly the same as the original, but don't do anything other than show ads, and try to SMS premium rate numbers and other nasty activities, certainly no useful virus removing activities. The Google play store is riddled with them and they often have very high ratings and lots of reviews (these are all fake, or from users who have been duped by the fake app too).

If you have your smartphone handy and you're reading this post from it, follow these instructions:

Firstly, follow these instructions (direct from the HTC support site) which will allow you to install the application:
You can then find the official Kaspersky Antivirus application here:

http://kms.kaspersky.com

The link will automatically download a .apk file to your handset, you should see it if you pull down the notifications from the top. It should be something like kisa_11.3.0.623.apk or kms_10.1.32_en-us.apk ~ depending on which version is automatically downloaded for you.

Tap the file listed to open it up and follow the on screen instructions to install. Update the definitions and run a scan, and of course be sure to post the results up here :)

Unfortunately resetting to the factory settings won't get rid of a malware infection as this only resets the settings and doesn't delete any malicious files which might be hiding etc. The malware then changes the settings back to what it likes and you're back to square one.
Hey, I tested you're link before I changed any settings and my browser identified it as BEING DANGEROUS TO MY PHONE. Where did you get that,or what is behind it that my security don't like. Youll forgive me for being overly cautious in light of what I've been through lately. I had downloaded the official playstore version only a few weeks ago. Unless it has been compromised,it is not the version that was removed back in May of this year. That version only stole the money you paid to get it,other than that,it was harmless,as well as worthless. I have no desire to try Kaspersky again as I went back and read all the reviews and people are still having problems with it. I now have Avast,Malwarebites,and other scanners to compliment each other . Thanks for tring to be helpful,but I think I'll pass.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hey, I tested you're link before I changed any settings and my browser identified it as BEING DANGEROUS TO MY PHONE. Where did you get that,or what is behind it that my security don't like. Youll forgive me for being overly cautious in light of what I've been through lately. I had downloaded the official playstore version only a few weeks ago. Unless it has been compromised,it is not the version that was removed back in May of this year. That version only stole the money you paid to get it,other than that,it was harmless,as well as worthless. I have no desire to try Kaspersky again as I went back and read all the reviews and people are still having problems with it. I now have Avast,Malwarebites,and other scanners to compliment each other . Thanks for tring to be helpful,but I think I'll pass.

The link is from the official Kaspersky website, you'll find it here:

http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/productupdates/mobile_for_android

The reason your phone identifies it as being 'potentially malicious' is because the application (the .apk file) is coming from a third party website (Kaspersky) rather than the Google Play Store. This is what we call a 'false positive', where your antivirus or phone security identifies a legitimate and safe application as being unsafe or malicious ;)

If you're still getting problems then you're phone may still be harbouring malware which the scanners have not been able to detect, in which case unfortunately I'm not permitted to help you and I would suggest you post in the Malware Removal Forum (http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/) as exterminator20 suggested above.

I like to think I've been around this forum long enough to be considered trustworthy and please rest assured that would never suggest anything that could cause harm to any members computer here, I'm sure there will be other members here who can confirm that for you and verify the information I have given you, for peace of mind ;)

I wish you all the very best with your phone issues, and I hope the above is useful information for you.

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
The link is from the official Kaspersky website, you'll find it here:

http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/productupdates/mobile_for_android

The reason your phone identifies it as being 'potentially malicious' is because the application (the .apk file) is coming from a third party website (Kaspersky) rather than the Google Play Store. This is what we call a 'false positive', where your antivirus or phone security identifies a legitimate and safe application as being unsafe or malicious ;)

If you're still getting problems then you're phone may still be harbouring malware which the scanners have not been able to detect, in which case unfortunately I'm not permitted to help you and I would suggest you post in the Malware Removal Forum (http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/) as exterminator20 suggested above.

I like to think I've been around this forum long enough to be considered trustworthy and please rest assured that would never suggest anything that could cause harm to any members computer here, I'm sure there will be other members here who can confirm that for you and verify the information I have given you, for peace of mind ;)

I wish you all the very best with your phone issues, and I hope the above is useful information for you.
Thanks cowpie, with over a thousand likes,your reputation speaks for itself. I trust that you meant no harm and your explanation helps me understand my system better. As I mentioned before,I am trouble free now after my second reset. I like Avast much better than Kaspersky now because Avast has both my browser's covered,where Kaspersky only covers native browser. Not only that but Avast has a log I can view any time I want. I think I have found what my problem was in another forum,aboutt malware in general,and Android specifically. I will post the link tomorrow or late tonight if it the closest to my experience. Thanks again for helping a newbe out, and hope too see you around again.

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Thanks cowpie, with over a thousand likes,your reputation speaks for itself. I trust that you meant no harm and your explanation helps me understand my system better. As I mentioned before,I am trouble free now after my second reset. I like Avast much better than Kaspersky now because Avast has both my browser's covered,where Kaspersky only covers native browser. Not only that but Avast has a log I can view any time I want. I think I have found what my problem was in another forum,aboutt malware in general,and Android specifically. I will post the link tomorrow or late tonight if it the closest to my experience. Thanks again for helping a newbe out, and hope too see you around again.

Glad to hear you're not having problems anymore :) I'm actually using Avast myself as i've always had trouble with Kaspersky software. I look forward to you posting the link and if there is anything in addition that you are not sure of, feel free to ask and one of us will happily explain it ;)

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Glad to hear you're not having problems anymore :) I'm actually using Avast myself as i've always had trouble with Kaspersky software. I look forward to you posting the link and if there is anything in addition that you are not sure of, feel free to ask and one of us will happily explain it ;)

Greetings all,

posible explanation to my recent problem.

There are two articles at (www.csoonline.com) that I believe may very well have caused my troubles lately. The first is #2452681 Campaign targeting user credentials DISCOVERED after five years. The second is a link in the article. #2154202 Social engineering, phishing attack using data uris to TARGET GOOGLE ACCOUNTS.
There are too many ways I could have been infected,but the second article suggests that there may have been no way for me to have noticed something wrong until after. In another word, a hidden download.

Attention admin: if you would like to move this thread to a more appropriate section,please feel free. New member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.