Looking for a free backup software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martiin

Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
I'm going to backup my data on an external hard drive and im looking for one, i already have my important files uploaded in the cloud but im going to backup my music library etc

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Yes, just "drag 'n drop"!!

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
If you already have an external drive, my suggestion would be to image the entire drive instead of just backing up selected items. This would also save whatever files you want backed up, and would secure you from catastrophic issues like drive failure or massive malware infections.

That being said, please consider Macrium Reflect. It is excellent and free:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@cruelsister What if the user wanted to transfer a few music files from the HDD to another PC, wouldn't imaging the whole drive cause an issue?

IMO, the approach for backing up data files should be kept separate from taking system image backups.

jelson

Level 2
Jun 14, 2011
Many imaging programs do both (partition / drive) backups as well as file & folder backups. (But still contained in a single imaging file)

However, you might also consider synch programs as well. 3 good ones to consider (last 2 do versioning):

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Macrium, aside from full drive images also has options for File and Folder backups. But I just checked and the latter function is not available on the free version (which Martiin wants), so I guess this rules out this program. Sorry.

Huracan- With either TrueImage or Macrium the imaging of either the entire drive or a given folder will result in an image file that can be mounted as a virtual drive and manipulated in any file manager. So the extraction of any individual file is simply done.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Windows own backup and restore feature works great for backing up personal files.
You can easily restore previous versions of mp3's if the tags get messed up, that is not possible with other backup software.

Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.