Advice Request Looking for advice on using Fort Firewall.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I have been using Portmaster Firewall for quite some time now, and I still think it is good, but there are a few things with the new versions that I dislike. :(

So I looked around and instead of Simplewall I saw the thread for Fort Firewall. It looks interesting, but...

* Is it easy and safe to use?
* What are things I need to look out for not to do when using Fort Firewall.
* What are good settings for me to use in Fort Firewall?

Any advice to safely get the most out of Fort Firewall is welcome everyone.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Hmm, I just tried to install Fort Firewall and I got this warning?

Fort Firewall install warning.jpg

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I was able to get the installer to start running before I canceled it, as this is not a VM machine (BD Total Security running). Both the 32-bit and 64-bit installers worked. So I don't know if any of this will help, as you probably already know what that error meant on, for your device. edit: lol, you did say any advice :)

2023-08-31_9-41-15.jpg

2023-08-31_9-37-00.jpg

2023-08-31_10-34-52.jpg

2023-08-31_10-30-27.jpg

2023-08-31_10-35-36.jpg

Last edited:
  • HaHa
Reactions: Trident and Morro

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I was able to get the installer to start running before I canceled it, as this is not a VM machine (BD Total Security running). Both the 32-bit and 64-bit installers worked. So I don't know if any of this will help, as you probably already know what that error meant on, for your device. edit: lol, you did say any advice :)

View attachment 278315
View attachment 278316
View attachment 278317
View attachment 278318
View attachment 278320

Yes, I did mention that, thank you, Jonny Quest. (y)

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I think they are injecting in the kernel a driver that is not signed, this is why maybe windows is complaning.

I have no idea if that is the case? Either way, Fort Firewall is not an option any more. Once I could install it, and I clicked on OK after the installation, I immediately got a BSOD. :( I tried it a second time, and the result was the same. So at that moment, I was like... "Where is today's backup image again?"

Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I believe you, that is why I wanted to try it, but it does not work apparently on my PC, so I can not seem to use it.

Reactions: Dave Russo

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Already downloaded, and I will install it this weekend or so to test it out for a while. :)

Reactions: Dave Russo

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Isn't it Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control now? It's another great alternative.

Yes, it is called that now indeed. I will certainly give it a try for a while once I installed it this weekend. :)

tnodir

Level 3
Well-known
Apr 19, 2022
Either way, Fort Firewall is not an option any more. Once I could install it, and I clicked on OK after the installation, I immediately got a BSOD.
Hi @Morro.

Previously you wrote about "not compatible with HVCI (Core Isolation)" error during installation.

Did you turn off the Core Isolation?

Can you please share a screenshot of BSOD? Maybe it was "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA" error as in this issue?

• Hundred Points
Reactions: Morro

tnodir

Level 3
Well-known
Apr 19, 2022
I think they are injecting in the kernel a driver that is not signed, this is why maybe windows is complaning.
The "not compatible with HVCI (Core Isolation)" error is from the Installer's registry check.

Driver is signed, but the driver uses executable memory pages to dynamically execute code. I have to buy new EV certificate to fix it.

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
What's wrong with WFC? Why third party? Isn't it better to tighten your windows fw and if you want extra throw in an IPS. SEP with IPS blade only.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Kongo

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Hi @Morro.

Previously you wrote about "not compatible with HVCI (Core Isolation)" error during installation.

Did you turn off the Core Isolation?

Can you please share a screenshot of BSOD? Maybe it was "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA" error as in this issue?

Unfortunately the screenshot I had was lost when I used the backup image. And I already installed MBAM WFC, sorry. But I might try Fort Firewall again if WFC is not to my liking after a few weeks of trying it out. Thank you for replying, and trying to help, I really appreciate it. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.