Advice Request Looking for suggestions for Appguard

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 69673
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Good info. Big thanks!! My "concern" is conflicting with Voodooshield, and I'm willing to uninstall VS to run AGSolo, although I did some folks at wilders report running VS & AG together without problems, but that was a few years ago. Not really my intent to run them together. Re my URL "confusion"
AppGuard Solo - AppGuard shows it at $89.95
Page Under Maintenance comes up "website under maintenance"
do you have a URL to buy for $39? I can't find it today, although I recall seeing it the other day.
I can confirm there are no conflicts between AppGuard and VoodooShield.

Also, if you are curious about US Government contracts, it is all public information and you can search for company names by keyword.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Personally, I do not know the know-how to run Appguard, so that is why I never used it. Investing in a good all-around solution such as Kaspersky and customising its protection seems a hassle-free alternative.
If you leave AG's Customization settings at their default, nothing to do, and AG spin is you're protected. But default also includes getting various notifications. Some are null, ie purely informational, but some might indicate a true "suspicious activity" and IMO it takes some learning time to know the difference. Running AG is easy, tweaking AG is I think a learning curve. I turned off all notifications except if it actually blocks an exe from starting. AG enterprise is administered by real IT trained professionals, at least ideally. I go and study AG activity log at my leisure. So far I'm liking AG enough not to uninstall it.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have used AppGuard. I bought a life time license for V3, but when V4 came out I had to buy a life time license again. I disliked their lifetime marketing which basically was a main version license only (with immediate end of life when new main version was released).

What I liked about AppGuard is that you could easily enforce a deny execute on user space and put internet facing apps in a granular standard user container with additional exploit protection. Which combined with UAC made it an easy and strong defense when running Admin

I would use Hard Configurator as replacement when on Windows 10 (and Windows 11 with SAC disabled) or wait for HomeAplocker when on fresh Windows 11 22H2. Combine thsi with Configure Defender on High and you have problem free AppGuard like security for free.
I concur with all you say! I had lifetime license with v3 several years ago too. Not sure why I got the bug to try it again a few weeks ago. And H_C is excellent.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I can confirm there are no conflicts between AppGuard and VoodooShield.

Also, if you are curious about US Government contracts, it is all public information and you can search for company names by keyword.

CuttingEdge Tech at wilders said same about running AG & VS together, no problema. From practical side I can confirm what Dan knows via coding, I'm not seeing any conflicts. I need to correct one statement I made. During my current testing period I was willing to only run AG and uninstall VS. But it there was a conflict running them together, I would stick with VS. For now I'm happy running both, both very light, belt + suspenders 🤓 what's the emoji for overkill?? :unsure: Is it overkill if they do what they do differently, no conflict and no system slowdown.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Is it overkill if they do what they do differently, no conflict and no system slowdown.
Yes, it's still overkill if you configure either VS or AppGuard correctly. You shouldn't need both. But people will still be people and run both together, it's like the same crowd that use Hitman Pro or MB as second opinion scanners (insert any second-hand scanner except for KVRT and NPE). If you need a second opinion scanner to stop yourself from getting infected, you have already lost. Same thing with running many/multiple security programs, too many cooks in the kitchen!

And honestly what the hell are you trying to protect yourself from running both VS and AppGuard together? The next Stuxnet or Equation Group? I'm pretty sure they would have no trouble getting past both programs, if you can infect a hard drives firmware then a few security programs are not going to trouble you.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, it's still overkill if you configure either VS or AppGuard correctly. You shouldn't need both. But people will still be people and run both together, it's like the same crowd that use Hitman Pro or MB as second opinion scanners (insert any second-hand scanner except for KVRT and NPE). If you need a second opinion scanner to stop yourself from getting infected, you have already lost. Same thing with running many/multiple security programs, too many cooks in the kitchen!

And honestly what the hell are you trying to protect yourself from running both VS and AppGuard together? The next Stuxnet or Equation Group? I'm pretty sure they would have no trouble getting past both programs, if you can infect a hard drives firmware then a few security programs are not going to trouble you.
I'm not expert enough to respond appropriately. I did see that Cutting_Edgetech (wilders) was (or had been) running both, and he seemed to be a knowledgeable poster. I think that I am not knowledgeable enough to make all optimal tweaks to AGSolo, at least for now, but I am interested in its protection approach. I did run AG without VS for a short period. Meanwhile, VS website says:

"LOLBins (Living Off the Land Binaries) have become an increasingly common attack vector in the cybersecurity landscape. Other endpoint protection products typically only protect 5-50 vulnerable process (for example, powershell, cmd, cscript, regsvr32, forfiles, scheduled tasks, bcedit), while CyberLock protects 1,000’s of vulnerable processes system wide, all automatically, all with zero configuration. If a new vulnerable process is discovered, CyberLock automatically updates each endpoint in 4 hours or less."

I have seen some discussions about adding LOLBins to AG config, but so far I have not tweaked that section of AG config, it's still default. To the extent that my AG may be missing a "vulnerable" LOLBin, I have the understanding that VS will (or should) provide that protection unless there's a conflict between VS & AG, and Dan says no conflict. So question: why use AG if I'm really relying on VS? I was curious and wanted to "test" AG. And I think I'm learning some in the process. Ditto H_C. You can click H_C's recommended button and be clueless, or you can also read and hopefully understand all the doc material Andy has made available. (ps currently, I am not running H_C). I guess if you are running AG, you are confident that you have it configured correctly. Your confidence may be misplaced but I hope not. In any event, since Dan confirmed no conflict, and I'm seeing zero slowdown running both, I'll carry on for the time being.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author

I was not going to post anymore on this thread but you forced me to. As Inhive said many times, keep a backup of your bios. but aside from that, how do you think your hardware gets infected in the first place? A magic genie comes through your router and infects your video card without running some code?
I have to laugh and hope 2023 will be much more of an awakening, like a very old website I created in the 90's called the awakening. My opening song was Riders on a Storm by the Doors. Complete with dragons Which is finally happening now

Last edited by a moderator:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
i was not going to post anymore on this thread but you forced me to. As Inhive said many times, keep a backup of your bios. but aside from that, how do you think your hardware gets infected in the first place? A magic genie comes through your router and infects your video card without running some code?
I have to laugh and hope 2023 will be much more of an awakening, like a very old website i created in the 90's called the awakening. Which is finally happening now
Perhaps something similar to how Roboman (IIRC) got infected?? I get at least 100 emails a day, many with URL links 99% from known senders. Last time I was infected was from email attachment from a professional consultant office I was working with remotely at the time. They were infected too and unwittingly shared. And I've been directly cyber attacked a few times but dodged those. I try to stop bad code. @cruelsister and others say MS Defender doesn't do the job. Always on the lookout for better solutions. AG log gives a lot of info as to what is running in background, or rather blocked.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
as a comical side note. again, back in the 90s i was a member of a MS chat room and became friends with some interesting people. one woman owned an internet service in Michigan. her handle was thigh high. among her clients was a man with the handle night moves. and who was night moves? well, he was bob. He sang a few songs. You might remember some of them. like turn back the pages? Anyway, we all got together in a mpls biker bar and really had a good time. I even knew he was getting married in Mexico before anybody else did. lol

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
all those close to me think thunderstruck is my favorite song but in secret riders on a storm is. listen to every word and note.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.