Lorien's Config, updated 28.12.2012

D

Deleted member 178

RE: Lorien's Config

good config. nothing to add. btw you secretly keep an eye on the forum from some times so you know how to set your config :D ;)

Lorien

Thread author
Nov 9, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
good config. nothing to add. btw you secretly keep an eye on the forum from some times so you know how to set your config :D ;)

Thanks :). I've been using CIS years ago before coming to here and also Comodo Dragon too and Firefox starting from where it was still named Phoenix back in 2003 or 2004 perhaps.

Also used Online Armor premium/++ for quite long time...Basicly MBAM+Hitman Pro+Kaspersky TDSS have become familiary after coming here.

Also been using non-admin account for many years now and tried several Linux distributions though mainly Ubuntu and Opensuse. But now just using Windows 7 on my computers.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

You have a solid security configuration! How are Avast and the Comodo Firewall playing together... any problems while running them?

You can add to your browser this two addons :

VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

Yes you do have a great config but you are missing (well my opinon you are..) a few bits and bobs like.

LastPass: (great for auto filling passwords whilst keeping them encrypted online)
VTzilla: (handy to investigate potential nasty files as I'm sure you already know).
Ghostery: Great to stop tracking.

And for Dragon Add WOT (like you already have), ScriptNo etc...

PS- Firefox 8 is now stable and not beta :D

Lorien

Thread author
Nov 9, 2011

Jack said:
You have a solid security configuration! How are Avast and the Comodo Firewall playing together... any problems while running them?

You can add to your browser this two addons :

VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Thanks for the tip. I've seen no problems as of yet...but Windows securitys center says I have two antispyware products running at the same time that bothers me a little.

I tried to look VTzilla at https://addons.mozilla.org but couldn't find it, do you know why is that?

P

Plexx

adding ghostery shouldnt do any harm (FF version)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

is everything good between avast and comodo? otherwise look at MalwareTips youtube channel :)

Lorien

Thread author
Nov 9, 2011

Valentin N said:
is everything good between avast and comodo? otherwise look at MalwareTips youtube channel :)

Everything is good between Avast and Comodo so far at least and let's hope it stays that way :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Hello Lorien,
Looks like that you have a solid config, just a question do you have any backup solutions?

If not here is a list of some that you could use and try.

Acronis True Image Home 2012
314-acronis-true-image11.jpg

Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional
315-paragon-drive-backup1.jpg

Norton Ghost 15
316-norton-ghost1.jpg

O&O DiskImage 5 Professional Edition
2778-oo-diskimage14.jpg

Image for Windows 2.58
320-image-for-windows1.jpg

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011

Pretty good I guess.
I don't think you'll need much more than what you've got, considering you know what you're doing.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

since you have Comodo Dragon you could add Ultimate Chrome Flag when it's coming back

Lorien

Thread author
Nov 9, 2011

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Lorien said:
Thanks for the tip, I have a backup solution(Hiren's bootcd) but I'm pretty lazy at using it ;)

I see that they have some backup solutions. I used to use the backup options on Hiren's BootCD, but was getting annoying, so I switched to a real option. Anyway I recommend that you backup your image just in case something happens.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Nothing wrong with Windows 7 Backup and Recovery. Use what your OS comes equipped with.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

A good and a very secure setup in my point of view, Yeah, No need for other software when your Operating System has one.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Overall a good configuration.

You can add EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experienced Toolkit) as your hardening protection against most commonly application vulnerable to exploit.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

Good config. You can add EMET 2.1: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=1677

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.