Losing your parents influence?

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
At what part in life would you be completely free of your parents influence? Having just entered adulthood, and wanting to be my own individual. I noticed a lot of things I do or decisions I make are like flashbacks of my parents words and decision.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You never get rid of your parents influence! Hahaha, they're always there. It's their nature to advise you and influence you to "make your life easier/better". Practically, they'll always be there bothering a little. But i guess once you're 18 and legal, it's up to you your decisions. They can advise you but it's your call.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Sometimes you don't need to get rid of them. Because it's your parents actions and behaviours doesn't mean they are wrong. You need to figure out if they are wrong first and then try to change.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Well since I am now a Parent I can say that I pass along the same things my Parents tried to instill in me.
The reason being if I would have listened a little better to my Parents I could have avoided many mistakes.
My Dad passed away when I was 17 and I wish he was still alive because I wouldn't mind a little influence.
I have been on my own since I was 19 so I am grateful for all the lectures I received from my Parents that I thought was just nagging.
Therefore I would say,stay under their influence as long as they are alive because they have been here much longer.
Trust me when I say,it seems like a great idea to be on your own but it is no picnic when you actually do it.

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
:)Thanks for all the awesome suggestions and replies. I am not actively trying to get rid of their influence... Its hard to say in words, I want to be grown up and be my own person.

This thought came into my head when I was playing with Ubuntu and customizing it. I thought I was doing great with all mods and tweaks until I step back and look at it, its almost an exact duplicate of my dad's linux box. :confused:

Friend came to me for a suggestion and what I had in my head and about ready to say is exactly what my mom has told me in the past. :confused:

Not complaining, I just wondered if I can be more independent and myself, able to use my own judgement without flashbacks of what they have instilled in me. Right now I just seem to be repeating what they have told me.

Doesn't sound good on how I have phrased it or expressed it.

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thumbs up and +1 to all great suggestions! I shouldn't be bothered or ashamed by the fact that I have such great and HUGE influence from my parents. Stay away from bad influence and I should treasure what they are providing me now.

Now i feel embarrassed for starting this thread :oops:, I guess when you are finally out of the house, in another State, and away from your Parentsin your first year of college and starting your first independent lifestyle, I wanted to grow up too soon. Spoken to my parents today and I forgotten how much I missed them and shared quite a few emotions with them.

I feel after reading everyone's suggestions and views, I matured a little, I can still be myself and my parents influence will be with me and when I become a parent, I would want the exact same things my parents want for me. Felt like I just pass the rite of passage to adulthood. Thanks everyone!!!

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Thumbs up and +1 to all great suggestions! I shouldn't be bothered or ashamed by the fact that I have such great and HUGE influence from my parents. Stay away from bad influence and I should treasure what they are providing me now.

Now i feel embarrassed for starting this thread :oops:, I guess when you are finally out of the house, in another State, and away from your Parentsin your first year of college and starting your first independent lifestyle, I wanted to grow up too soon. Spoken to my parents today and I forgotten how much I missed them and shared quite a few emotions with them.

I feel after reading everyone's suggestions and views, I matured a little, I can still be myself and my parents influence will be with me and when I become a parent, I would want the exact same things my parents want for me. Felt like I just pass the rite of passage to adulthood. Thanks everyone!!!
There is no need to be embarrassed at all. It is a good thread to read through and could be helpful to others who read it. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually it's not losing your parents influence, you are adjusting to another level of life that you will apply more the right perspective of life through the process taken during childhood until adulthood.

We must give our parents a deserving gratitude since seeing us in a bright path is already huge return; as they exerted efforts to raised us such role model.

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
:oops::oops::oops: I feel so immature and ashamed after rereading my post :oops::(. I guess I am not an adult yet if I posted that......

Actually it's not losing your parents influence, you are adjusting to another level of life that you will apply more the right perspective of life through the process taken during childhood until adulthood.

We must give our parents a deserving gratitude since seeing us in a bright path is already huge return; as they exerted efforts to raised us such role model.

That is so beautiful! Thanks a million! I lost track .... and will remember this quote to remind myself to get back on track.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
:oops::oops::oops: I feel so immature and ashamed after rereading my post :oops::(. I guess I am not an adult yet if I posted that......
Pray in your heart, that you are never free of what will become their lasting legacy to, and for you.
It will forever be a part of who and what you are and is something to be proud of, and not something
you hope to have wear off over time.
Don't be too hard on yourself my friend, we live and we learn. Next time you see them hug them ;)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The words below somehow sum most of us at one point or another:
9f3847d1e629306477019b9a7a384080.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.