Danger Maddi Murray PC Security Configuration

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Testing malware samples on your Host PC, Seriously ? Don't let malwares infect your machines easily by testing malware samples on your HOST PC. Use a virtual machine instead. Specify the adblocker that you're using
Another suggestion:
-Add HTTPS Everywhere in your browser
-Turn on Smartscreen
Thanks for sharing :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Maddi Murray: I set temporally Your config as Risky.

Please consider the following tips:

- Enable OS File Reputation (SmartScreen).
- Change UAC to Always Notify.
- Testing AV's with Malware Samples -> VMWare or VirtualBox.
- To have KRD as on demand scanner in a system where You already have KIS (specify the concrete version) makes no sense, consider some different products such as: Norton Power Eraser, ZAM Free and EmsiSoft Emergency Kit.
- As already mentioned by @Syafiq: specify browser Content Blocker (uBlock Origin, AdGuard, AdBlock Plus,...), and HTTPS EveryWhere, as browser extensions.
- Also consider to run manual backups of important data to external devices.

Please reflect any new change editing Your 1st post (Thread Tools -> Edit Thread) and posting the updates in a new post here.

Thanks for sharing Your config :)

Maddi Murray

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 30, 2017
It was a test for some solution i made last year and it finished as i wanted, it was just a one time test, But thanks for you advice.
Thank you, @Syafiq

OK, @harlan4096
First, the AdBlocker i'm already installing it but i don't feel if it's working or not, many ads with malware are appear and KIS always notify me about malware detected.
I'll try Norton Power Eraser.
I'm already backup important data only every month (The updated data only) on NAS Storage i have.
But i have a question for you, Why should i enable SmartScreen ?? i feel like it's not working and it's restrict me on some apps i working on.
Thank you @haralan4096 for your advice

Last edited by a moderator:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Enable SmartScreen, it can be fundamental to prevent infections.

Add ZAM Free and NPE.

Add HTTPS Everywhere.

Replace Adblock with uBlock Origin.

Thanks for sharing.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Obviously you edited your config for testing malware to inside a virtual machine.
Given the fact that you were infected,and did not know it should be done in a VM or separate testing PC only ,you might want to learn a bit more before testing malware.
Enable Smartscreen as it is an essential part of Windows 10 security.
Kaspersky Rescue Disk is a great tool but not an on demand scanner.
Therefore consider adding an additional on demand scanner(s) such as Emsisoft Emergency Kit,Malwarebytes Antimalware,Zemana Antimalware,Hitman Pro,etc.
Definitely replace AdBlock with uBlock Origin and add HTTPS Everywhere & Privacy Badger to Chrome.
Suggestions are not made to belittle anyone but to help and point out security problems in a config.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Monthly backups leave a lot of potential data loss, would recommend that on top of the other suggestions, you might want to supplement the backups with a snapshot tool like Rollback Rx, the free Home Edition would probably fit your needs.

a1nn

Level 2
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
From what I have gathered from previous comments, there are quite a number of things that you could change:
  • Turn UAC to Always Notify. It does not cause many annoyances and can be a basic, but crucial step, for security. Cerber was able to bypass UAC unless you had it set to always notify:
    In case if UAC level is set to default (or lower), Cerber can bypass it silently. However, in case if it is set to the highest, the following alert pops up:
  • I am going to repeat what I have said in a previous configuration
    Turn on SmartScreen... SmartScreen is more widely used and can be a critical part of a computer's safety. Unless your computer can absolutely not run it, you should keep it on.
    It is a basic part of Windows security and cannot be skipped out on. SmartScreen should not interfere with daily usage.
  • ALWAYS test malware in a VM. If you are not, you are basically purposely infecting your PC with malware. Please consider learning more about malware and testing it before actively trying to test it.
  • ALWAYS use a VPN when testing malware. It protects your IP from malware processing. I suggest that you read this post before going on with testing malware.
  • Kaspersky Rescue Disk does not replace a second opinion scanner. What Kaspersky doesn't detect, Rescue Disk will not as well. Install Emsisoft Emergency Kit or Zemana Anti-malware.
  • Add HTTPS Everywhere. This makes sure you aren't passing important data over insecure connections.
  • Replace AdBlock with uBlock Origin. AdBlock is quite heavy on the browser, without providing as much protection as uBlock Origin.
Thanks for sharing on MalwareTips!

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.