Security News Major Flaw in iOS 17.3 new Stolen Device Protection, how to fix

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Last week, Apple released iOS 17.3 with a new security feature called Stolen Device Protection, which aims to help protect your data in case a thief has stolen your iPhone and obtained the password.
Stolen Device Protection helps thwart this vulnerability in two key ways. When enabled, the feature requires Face ID or Touch ID authentication (with no passcode fallback) before users can change important security settings like Apple ID passwords or device passcodes. It also enacts a one-hour security delay before users can change these security settings. This is designed to give victims time to mark an iPhone as lost before a thief can make critical changes.

Fatal flaw in Stolen Device Protection​

However, if a user has Significant Locations enabled and is currently located in a familiar location, they won’t get these extra layers of security.

“When your iPhone is in a familiar location, these additional steps are not required, and you can use your device passcode like usual,” states Apple in the Stolen Device Protection support documents. “Familiar locations typically include your home, work, and certain other locations where you regularly use your iPhone.”

Apple deems a location significant based on how often and when a user visits it.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
the "fix" = "Fortunately, you can turn off Significant Locations by going to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations. Once disabled, Face ID or Touch ID will be implicitly required to turn off Stolen Device Protection."

...but fwiw I am NOT finding ..."> System Services > Significant Locations" on my iphone15 pro running iOS 17.3. I then tried a search from main Settings and it does not find it either?? :unsure:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
...but fwiw I am NOT finding ..."> System Services > Significant Locations" on my iphone15 pro running iOS 17.3. I then tried a search from main Settings and it does not find it either?? :unsure:
It's visible on iOS 17.2.1

Picture Guide:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It's visible on iOS 17.2.1

Picture Guide:
Big thanks! The picture guide showed me how / where to find it. Disabled here now in 17.3. Just curious to me that iOS Settings search did not find "significant locations" -- Also turning off significant locations gave a warning popup from iOS that this would interfere with various features... I disabled anyways consistent with this warning. Thanks again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.