Malvertising Strikes Even When You Don’t Click

H

hjlbx

I used to use Comodo for such reasons, but I prefer not to mes with such a big package that contains other features too.. but I will think of it as the only alternative.

COMODO is the only true alternative, but comes with its own slew of issues.

If you simply use Proactive Security and make only minimal rules or settings changes then you will save yourself from a lot of frustration.

If you do run into a problem with COMODO, there is usually a workaround - but not always. For a single example, switching to a different browser if Chrome misbehaves in the sandbox or using Chrome in the Virtual Desktop instead of running it sandboxed.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
COMODO is the only true alternative, but comes with its own slew of issues.

If you simply use Proactive Security and make only minimal rules or settings changes then you will save yourself from a lot of frustration.

If you do run into a problem with COMODO, there is usually a workaround - but not always. For a single example, switching to a different browser if Chrome misbehaves in the sandbox or using Chrome in the Virtual Desktop instead of running it sandboxed.
Good but bloated. I want near defaults, light & trouble free configs, considering my laptop is working on a HDD which very easily causes delays. Ι am somewhat obsessive with such things :D Thanks for trying to help though !

Reactions: Fuzzfas

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I want near defaults, light & trouble free configs, considering my laptop is working on a HDD which very easily causes delays.
then stay far away from any iteration of comodo

Reactions: Nikos751
H

hjlbx

Good but bloated. I want near defaults, light & trouble free configs, considering my laptop is working on a HDD which very easily causes delays. Ι am somewhat obsessive with such things :D Thanks for trying to help though !

The annoying problem with COMODO is that the Safe File database is missing a lot of safe\legitimate Windows and OEM files. Therefore, they will be auto-sandboxed upon execution unless you know how to workaround.

Light & trouble free... that's my mantra...

Reactions: Nikos751

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The annoying problem with COMODO is that the Safe File database is missing a lot of safe\legitimate Windows and OEM files. Therefore, they will be auto-sandboxed upon execution unless you know how to workaround.
okay, so what's the workaround? This has been vexing me for a long time!

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Every pop-ups maybe harmful right?
if your security software gives you too many pop ups, it can be annoying, and increases the chance you will ignore something important or make a mistake

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
okay, so what's the workaround? This has been vexing me for a long time!
the workaround is to go into sandbox settings and make a manual "ignore" rule for those files.
the rule created from the popup applies by default only to a "trusted" file, and that is the whole problem.

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Verified
May 7, 2016
Use a HIPS soft such as Spyshelter and an antiexpoit such as Hitman Pro Alert and you should be pretty safe.
Make sure that Spyshelter is set to block most actions for browsers and adobe flash as well as any vulnerable app and you should be good to go.
spyshelter will block any actions that are set to be blocked for the browser.
And use Adguard pro for malvertising blocks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.