App Review Malware in Google Ads: Fake OBS, VLC, Notepad++ | The PC Security Channel

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
VLC is notorious for malware. Besides 7ZIP it has to be the most backdoored app on earth. I would be really careful downloading it from anywhere, even from the official site of VLC, I would double check and check hash and upload to VT. I guess the lesson is use an adblocker to block adds, it's one of the first things users should do on any new PC/Laptop/Tablet/Phone is to install one.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
VLC is notorious for malware. Besides 7ZIP it has to be the most backdoored app on earth. I would be really careful downloading it from anywhere, even from the official site of VLC, I would double check and check hash and upload to VT. I guess the lesson is use an adblocker to block adds, it's one of the first things users should do on any new PC/Laptop/Tablet/Phone is to install one.
I admit to still use VLC for watching DVDs on my laptop. I see Potplayer on MS Store and listed in the Best Free Softwares here, just not sure how often updated or if it's better. Anyway, I'd checked installer on VT and all good. I use uBO with a tweaked Hard Mode that blocks bad stuff ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.