(Realtime)
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
None
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome (Primary) and Firefox (Secondary)
  • Myki
  • HttpsEverywhere
  • uBlock Origin
  • Web of Trust
  • Ghostery
  • Windows Defender Browser Protection (Chrome)
Edge (Eww. Rarely used)
  • uBlock Origin
  • Myki
  • Ghostery
Maintenance tools
None, new build.
File and Photo backup
OneDrive (Primary)
1TB WD Portable HDD
System recovery
None, don't mess with malicious software testing much anymore.
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Custom Build Specs
  • Aorus B450 Pro Wifi (BIOS ver. F41)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI Ventus RTX 2060 SUPER
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz 8GBx2 16GB (BIOS adj. freq. profile to full)
  • 250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 V-NAND SSD
    • 32GB allocated to Ubuntu
    • Remainder reserved for Windows
  • 4TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA HDD

Malware Maniac

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2012
Being a college student, most of my activity on this desktop will be for class work and gaming. Studying computer science, I would be creating and running my own programs and scripts from time to time. I also experiment quite a bit, such as using virtual machines to get a feel for an operating system.

I had built this PC, being my first build, to be able to handle games such as GTA V and Life Is Strange at their highest possible quality without sacrificing frame rates. I do have mods installed for GTA V for Single Player just to add some "flare" to the game.

Answering some of these questions has made me realize that there were some extensions and settings I should have added changed, however, I neglected to do so but have enforced these changes now. If any further details are needed, I may provide them.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Good, it doesn't look bad since you have WD. What I suggest is a backup program. I use Macrium Reflect, and it has taken me many times out of many problems.
Thanks for sharing.(y)

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Good, it doesn't look bad since you have WD. What I suggest is a backup program. I use Macrium Reflect, and it has taken me many times out of many problems.
Thanks for sharing.(y)
WD real time is disabled since op mentioned periodic scan is on. I wouldn't advise mbam as an antivirus. It doesn't stop viruses like sality which can easily infect the PC via USB.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I believe you may run both at the same time as long as you select in MBAM something like “Do not show in Windows Security Center.” Then WD will be you primary and both can run in real time. MBAM paid is simply wasted money IMO. You could use MB Anti-Exploit Beta and its always free, and stable. MBAM free = 2nd opinion scanner only. My two cents. (y)

Malware Maniac

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2012
Uhh... I might have mis-categorized some stuff.

WesternDigital, the WD Portable HDD, is a device that I occasionally save files to however it's not always saved to that. Generally, when I have a file that I think will be important to me, I will save that sort of information to my University OneDrive or to my Personal OneDrive account (both premium accounts). I do not have any anti-virus protection from WD. (Post publishing, just realized WD in your guy's comments stood for Windows Defender *feels like fool*).

As for my primary use of MalwareBytes, it's a great program which gets rid of files that normally anti-virus vendors will miss. Windows Defender has heavily adapted over the years and has performed better than some of the vendors, on a plus side it is free.

I will not be using Avast or AVG as they have become more of adware/bloatware in my opinion. They've done things such as saying "hey, your IP is public" and offering their $24.99/yr VPN or "keep your passwords in one place" offering $19.99/yr password manager, exaggerating and estimating a bit here. It would be an ad about every two days. This was my experience with Avast, however, I will not bat an eye to AVG as they were bought out by Avast leaving AVG as pretty much the shell to Avast.

Comodo relies heavily on its HIPS engine and will trigger whenever I run my own code. This just slows me down at a programming standpoint. It's also not the best when determining if a file is actually malicious or not as it relies almost solely on HIPS. Great for a paranoid user, which I am, not great for a mixed objectives with programming involved user, which I also am.

Those were just a couple vendors I've used and believed I needed to give my opinions on before suggestions were made.

Additionally, I have considered BitDefender free, primary idea for an antivirus at this point is I want to go a free route if I already have a premium protection product running on my system.

I am open to suggestions for different products. If there needs to be any clarification to the original post, please let me know or ask.

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Not a massive fan of this setup, Web of Trust is not an extension I would ever run in my life time of commenting on security configs and would remove straight away, Ghostery isn't needed as it catches most of the same ad/trackers uBlock Origin does, HTTPS Everywhere is redundant on the HTTPS roleout for sites on the web only and I personally would run MBAM/WD as your primary protection.

The above can be debated and is firmly my opinion only, please do not be offended by the critique of your system.

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.