Malware that bypass UAC, Sandboxes and VMs?

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
Can any body suggest me a solution for malwares which bypasses UAC, sanbox and Virtual Machines ????

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No worries. Split thread. :cool:

I'm assuming you're searching for specific malware that does each of these?

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
oh thnx for the thread, but no i m not looking for specific malware but i have seen loggers which have the option to jump out of the sandbox and virtual machine and UAC bypass codes are probably pretty easy now a days, have been reading these on some forum !!
I was wondering with the level of current sophisticated malwares how secure can we be with sandbox and virtual machine, hopefully there isn't anything to bypass HIPS ???

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
madyrocksin said:
How will i identify such malwares ???

Make sure you have a backup of your system and then install a virtual machine and try the malware in that, and if it escapes then that's what you want. :)

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
McLovin said:
madyrocksin said:
How will i identify such malwares ???

Make sure you have a backup of your system and then install a virtual machine and try the malware in that, and if it escapes then that's what you want. :)
haha thnx for quick reply but wot if my actual system security doesn't detects it and i will never know whether it escaped the VM or not :p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
madyrocksin said:
haha thnx for quick reply but wot if my actual system security doesn't detects it and i will never know whether it escaped the VM or not :p

If you have a backup solution and if the computer starts to play up then you just have to revert back to that backup.

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
McLovin said:
madyrocksin said:

If you have a backup solution and if the computer starts to play up then you just have to revert back to that backup.

ohk so that means i will have to infect my computer to know about it :dodgy: well i was thinking that most of the malwares had this capability, well thnx for the replies :D

I am waiting for someone who had actually encountered something like this :p

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
Hi madyrocksin
If I understand you , u are worried about
a malware that can bypass UAC, sandbox and Virtual Machines ,

Their are malware that can bypass UAC and sandbox Virtual Machines
there's some that can bypass Virtual Machines. (allthough very Rare)
but bypass all 3 together ! I have not seen that . And am not Aware
of any malware currently in the wild that can bypass all 3 at once ,

how ever that dose not mean that such a malware could not be created
one only has to look at Flame which went undetected for some time,

If you are using UAC and sanbox Virtual Machines your chance of infection is
Very small,

Malware that can bypass UAC not so common
Malware that can bypass sandbox is less common
Malware that can bypass Virtual Machines is very rare,

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
InternetChicken said:
Hi madyrocksin
If I understand you , u are worried about
a malware that can bypass UAC, sandbox and Virtual Machines ,

Their are malware that can bypass UAC and sandbox Virtual Machines
there's some that can bypass Virtual Machines. (allthough very Rare)
but bypass all 3 together ! I have not seen that . And am not Aware
of any malware currently in the wild that can bypass all 3 at once ,

how ever that dose not mean that such a malware could not be created
one only has to look at Flame which went undetected for some time,

If you are using UAC and sanbox Virtual Machines your chance of infection is
Very small,

Malware that can bypass UAC not so common
Malware that can bypass sandbox is less common
Malware that can bypass Virtual Machines is very rare,

Hi InternetChicken,

Yes you are right, i want to test malwares and for that i m pretty worried about those malwares which can bypass your protection.

I think that if something can bypass a virtual machine than sandbox and UAC shouldn't be a factor.

As for UAC i have read somewhere that a registry value of 0 on some code can actually bypass it,
i dont know if windows update has actually fixed that now, moreover i have tried some loggers where i had the option to tick a box which said anti-sandbox,
of late i have been hearing about a video tutorial were its shown how to bypass virtual machines !!

I am assuming that there is some virus like that, and want to know, can HIPS actually safeguard you against that ??

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I've run VMWare inside of Sandboxie inside of Shadow Defender inside of Rollback RX on an old second PC that was on a separate network. Yet I still managed to spread a very nasty worm through my home network's modem and infected all 4 PC's in my household, Aswell as my whole street and local exchange.

Since then I stay well clear of testing any malware as no environment is secure enough.

/sarc :p

To be honest I don't think you have anything to worry about, Not to say let your guard down, Just take basic pre-cautions. I've been testing all types of threats inside my VM for 5 years now and never had anything "escape". Not that I'm saying it's not possible, As honestly I've never known it to happen nor seen it happen. Others can feel free to tell me otherwise.

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
MrXidus said:
I've run VMWare inside of Sandboxie inside of Shadow Defender inside of Rollback RX on an old second PC that was on a separate network. Yet I still managed to spread a very nasty worm through my home network's modem and infected all 4 PC's in my household, Aswell as my whole street and local exchange.

Since then I stay well clear of testing any malware as no environment is secure enough.

To be honest I don't think you have anything to worry about, Not to say let your guard down, Just take basic pre-cautions. I've been testing all types of threats inside my VM for 5 years now and never had anything "escape". Not that I'm saying it's not possible, As honestly I've never known it to happen nor seen it happen. Others can feel free to tell me otherwise.

Ok i have tried using virtual box inside sandboxie with time freez but that gave me an error, didn't try it too hard though.

Thanks for replying, i know everything is possible a system can be infected if it had Fort Knox built around it.

I just wanted to know if these kind of malwares have become a bit regular or not, your reply actually helped me :)

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
I am assuming that there is some virus like that, and want to know, can HIPS actually safeguard you against that ??

then the awnser would be No
As MrXidus stated above you honestly have anything to worry about

Find and running a malware that can bypass UAC sandbox Virtual Machines
Would be like closeing your eye's and shoot a gun and hiting someone with the shot while you are standing on mars, by your self ........

If you are so worried about the Issue then the fix is eazy , Dont mess with Malware ........
I might be killed a rock from outer space could crash and hit my car ,,,
It could happen , but the chance of happing is so low ,,, I wont worry about It.

D

Deleted member 178

MrXidus said:

MrXidus was joking ^^

I run this config (but Virtual box outside :D ) PLUS my 3 security suites :p and nothing (yet) bypassed them.

but im sure with just Sandboxie or Shadow defender , it will be hard already to be infected.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
These types of malware are so extremely rare and have to be manually downloaded and manually executed in order to infect a system. So basic users shouldn't worry about them.

But if you are into testing malware, I recommend to use a separate system dedicated for testing only. It is the only 100% sure way that they can't cause any damage to a system. If your test system gets infected then simply re-install Windows and problem is solved.

Never use your main system to test malware, no matter how good you think you are at testing, errors can happen and wipe out your main system.

Thanks.:D

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
InternetChicken said:

then the awnser would be No
As MrXidus stated above you honestly have anything to worry about

Find and running a malware that can bypass UAC sandbox Virtual Machines
Would be like closeing your eye's and shoot a gun and hiting someone with the shot while you are standing on mars, by your self ........

If you are so worried about the Issue then the fix is eazy , Dont mess with Malware ........
I might be killed a rock from outer space could crash and hit my car ,,,
It could happen , but the chance of happing is so low ,,, I wont worry about It.

I am worried but not that worried that i will give up malware testing, i wanted to know if there is something to prevent it, as these kinda of malware still rare, i can be much relaxed now when i test these malwares :)

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
MrXidus said:

MrXidus was joking ^^

I run this config (but Virtual box outside :D ) PLUS my 3 security suites :p and nothing (yet) bypassed them.

but im sure with just Sandboxie or Shadow defender , it will be hard already to be infected.

You have to be really very sure of your configuration to try them outside VM :D

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
Littlebits said:
These types of malware are so extremely rare and have to be manually downloaded and manually executed in order to infect a system. So basic users shouldn't worry about them.

But if you are into testing malware, I recommend to use a separate system dedicated for testing only. It is the only 100% sure way that they can't cause any damage to a system. If your test system gets infected then simply re-install Windows and problem is solved.

Never use your main system to test malware, no matter how good you think you are at testing, errors can happen and wipe out your main system.

Thanks.:D

Since they are still rare i don't wanna go the hard way :) thanks for the reply !!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.