Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
  • Pros
    Extremely fast scan. Removed many malware samples. Free.

• Cons
    No real-time protection. Missed older malware samples in testing. In testing, some files reported as quarantined were still present.

• Bottom Line
    Malwarebytes 3.0 Free aims to wipe out pernicious malware that gets past your regular antivirus, or prevents you from installing protection. But with no real-time protection it can't be your primary antivirus.
  • more in the link above

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I read the article 3 times and it seems the author doesn't have much nice things to say about it and or contradicts himself. More is said about other AV's and or the PAID version...

There's something strange 'neath your PC's hood. Antivirus failed, and it don't look good. Who ya gonna call? Malwarebytes! For many years, Malwarebytes has been the go-to solution when other antivirus products drop the ball. but Malwarebytes 3.0 Free is still available to clean up malware's messes. It's still an excellent tool, although it didn't perform as well as the last version in my testing.

My favorite part, he performs his own test, got infected and calls on MB to the resue and I quote "One ransomware sample had time to do its dirty deeds before the scan removed it. There's nothing a cleanup-only product could do to prevent that." and regarding the test he ran he stated "The results were disappointing"

REREAD it the 4th time, Author seems to be having a very difficult time recommending it and tried to find some positive point, ITS FREE!!! Its not first line defense.

I must have read it wrong, someone please take the tin foil hat off my head.....

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I read the article 3 times and it seems the author doesn't have much nice things to say about it and or contradicts himself. More is said about other AV's and or the PAID version...

There's something strange 'neath your PC's hood. Antivirus failed, and it don't look good. Who ya gonna call? Malwarebytes! For many years, Malwarebytes has been the go-to solution when other antivirus products drop the ball. but Malwarebytes 3.0 Free is still available to clean up malware's messes. It's still an excellent tool, although it didn't perform as well as the last version in my testing.

My favorite part, he performs his own test, got infected and calls on MB to the resue and I quote "One ransomware sample had time to do its dirty deeds before the scan removed it. There's nothing a cleanup-only product could do to prevent that." and regarding the test he ran he stated "The results were disappointing"

REREAD it the 4th time, Author seems to be having a very difficult time recommending it and tried to find some positive point, ITS FREE!!! Its not first line defense.

I must have read it wrong, someone please take the tin foil hat off my head.....
1foj5t.jpg

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@BoraMurdar , Is that taking off my tin foil hat or advertising the author =P

OK, after reading for the 5th time, it is a well written piece of information. He clearly states the pro's and many con's. I was just not wise enough to pick it up :);)

WIth the tin foil hat off, I can read so much more clearly and i agree MB3 Free is worthy in the toolbox, use when all else fails and if it fails too, well, There's nothing a cleanup-only product could do to prevent that.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The link redirects me to Malwarebytes 2.0 old review although I can view via Google Cache.

No realtime protection? Simply because it is for PRO version, you need to pay for it.

An important aspect as developer is consider the expenses and what ways will gain revenues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.