App Review Malwarebytes Premium Anti-Malware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Before we begin, I'd like to wish you an excellent and protected 2024!

Malwarebytes is a well-known American antimalware company. Formerly used as disinfection software, the company has been moving into the antivirus sector for many years.
For this test, Malwarebytes has announced some exciting developments, which I'm going to try out.
The software was configured before the test.

Interface: 9,5/10

The Malwarebytes interface remains very clear and even indicates a recommendation level. Handy for helping you stay protected (Windows update, analysis, out-of-date database, etc.).
The software remains lightweight, but I did notice that the interface was a bit busy.

Protection:10/10 Web / Fake crack 0,75/1 Malware Pack : Remaining 11 out of 262

I'll be very honest, but Malwarebytes has finally woken up.
After several versions where I had very infected virtual machines, Malwarebytes is close to excellence!
Its scanner has been greatly improved thanks to their Machine Learning AI, and a great deal of malware has been detected thanks to this.
Even more astonishing, Malwarebytes has also managed to counter many exploits thanks to behavior... a first!
Only, it let 1 BitCoinMiner through from the fake crack and the virtual machine loses the Internet connection during the disinfection phase caused by a Batch malware. I checked the proxies, DNS and did a DNS flush, but I couldn't restore...
That's progress!

Recommand :Using it on its own is still too risky. Using it in conjunction with an antivirus like Microsoft Defender is an excellent choice.
System Clean : Infected

@oldschool request

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
Not bad i think version 5 will be a succuss. I'm not sure why Malwarebytes doesn't apply "penetration attacks" on by default as it clearly is handy seeing the behavior blocker in action with those scripts. if you have Malwarebytes applying the penetration testing attacks is a must! Also thank you for using browser guard in the test i feel many forget to use it and it's essential to its all-around protection.

Harputlu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016
Before we begin, I'd like to wish you an excellent and protected 2024!

Malwarebytes is a well-known American antimalware company. Formerly used as disinfection software, the company has been moving into the antivirus sector for many years.
For this test, Malwarebytes has announced some exciting developments, which I'm going to try out.
The software was configured before the test.

Interface: 9,5/10

The Malwarebytes interface remains very clear and even indicates a recommendation level. Handy for helping you stay protected (Windows update, analysis, out-of-date database, etc.).
The software remains lightweight, but I did notice that the interface was a bit busy.

Protection:10/10 Web / Fake crack 0,75/1 Malware Pack : Remaining 11 out of 262

I'll be very honest, but Malwarebytes has finally woken up.
After several versions where I had very infected virtual machines, Malwarebytes is close to excellence!
Its scanner has been greatly improved thanks to their Machine Learning AI, and a great deal of malware has been detected thanks to this.
Even more astonishing, Malwarebytes has also managed to counter many exploits thanks to behavior... a first!
Only, it let 1 BitCoinMiner through from the fake crack and the virtual machine loses the Internet connection during the disinfection phase caused by a Batch malware. I checked the proxies, DNS and did a DNS flush, but I couldn't restore...
That's progress!

Recommand :Using it on its own is still too risky. Using it in conjunction with an antivirus like Microsoft Defender is an excellent choice.
System Clean : Infected

@oldschool request

I use it with Webroot internet security plus. They work stably together.(I'm using the beta of version 5.)

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
It's been a while since I tested Webroot... I'll add it to my list :)
My wife's, Friend told me she is using this combo Malwarebytes and Webroot as well, I told its probably not a good idea to combine, and offer her some activations if she was interested( basically with her its if its not broken don't fix it) lol that's a lesson I might never learn(or really learned it the hard way)anyway I googled the question of using them together and it was recommended (if exceptions are added for each other)I am also hoping Shadowra that you might do a test or 2 on some combos, Thanks for your hard work its a joy to watch!!!

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
FYI: Malwarebytes can't detect scripts if detect penetration testing is not enabled, and it can only detect ransomware trough behavior from EXE files.

Malwarebytes anti-exploit layer can block the mechanisms that scripts use to infect the machine and it is pretty good at that, it is similar for ransomware.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Malwarebytes anti-exploit layer can block the mechanisms that scripts use to infect the machine and it is pretty good at that, it is similar for ransomware.
Have you ever seen the anti-exploit module block actual malware without enabling penetration testing? I have tested Malwarebytes numerous times, and I have yet to see the anti-exploit module block malware trough behavior. I have also never seen it block Javascripts or Visual Basic Scripts, even when enabling all exploit settings. The only times I have seen the anti-exploit module in action are the numerous false positives reported at the Malwarebytes forum. It literally detects everything but malware.

It's why I find the supposed 100% detection of fileless malware for Malwarebytes to be complete bullshit.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.