Additional security layers:

01. Microsoft EMET
02. Local security policy enhancements
03. Local group policy enhancements
04. Disabled vulnerable standard services [print spooler, remote reg etc.]
05. Completely disabled autorun function
06. All unnecessary TCP/UDP/IP ports are stealthed
07. Disabled Microsoft Teredo protocol [Internet Protocol 6]
08. No third-party services like public DNS [OpenDNS, Comodo DNS etc.], system scanning related software [Secunia PST, Driver Agent etc.]
09. Wireshark monitoring
10. FileMon and RegMon
11. Total Uninstall
12. Intime Updates
13. VirtualBox is used like a sandbox
14. Microsoft Web Application Configuration Analyzer
15. Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Zemana Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro are the same products, so I don't see why you need both.

maxxodd

Thread author
Jun 10, 2011
Earth said:
Zemana Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro are the same products, so I don't see why you need both.

I'm using Zemana [trial] on my notebook and Hitman Pro [paid] on my desktop machine.

D

Deleted member 178

so you should separate your thread with one part for the laptop and another for the desktop.

maxxodd

Thread author
Jun 10, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
so you should separate your thread with one part for the laptop and another for the desktop.

All tools are the same on laptop and desktop except Zemana and Hitman.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Looks very solid , below are a few things that you can add :

Additional browser protection:

1.Site advisor :
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

OR

Norton Safe Web (Free) - link
Norton Safe Web is a new reputation service from Symantec. Our servers analyze Web sites to see how they will affect you and your computer. Then, using the Norton Toolbar installed on your PC, we let you know how safe a particular Web site might be before you view it.

2. Increase your privacy :

Ghostery (Free) -link
Ghostery is your window into the invisible web – tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons that are included on web pages in order to get an idea of your online behavior.
Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.
You can read here a review on Ghostery

Additional On-demand scanners:
Emsisoft Emergency Kit (Free) - link
With the Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner you have got the powerful Emsisoft Scanner including graphical user interface. Search the infected PC for Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Dialers, Keyloggers and other malign programs.
Run the Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner with a double click on a2emergencykit.exe. Found Malware can be moved to quarantine or finally deleted.

VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.
More Info

I see that you're using a VM as Sandboxie.......Why don't you use Sandboxie? It's as safe as a VM but starts faster and works good on 64bits.

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
It's pretty obvious to me that you have a very well protected computer and yes Safe Web or WOT would be a nice addition to your already good setup.

What stands out to me about your config is all the different Ad Blockers. Now I'm one of the few here that have Ad Muncher I do believe, and see absolutely zero ads of any kind.

I'm just curious what real purpose does AdBlock Plus, AdBlock Plus Element Hiding Helper and AdGuard really serve? This just seems to be over kill to me kinda like multiple antivirus programs running at the same time.

maxxodd

Thread author
Jun 10, 2011
Jack said:
I see that you're using a VM as Sandboxie.......Why don't you use Sandboxie? It's as safe as a VM but starts faster and works good on 64bits.
Call me a paranoid but Sanboxie is using system DLLs to create virtual safe space and VB is only using it to create VM only (yes, it's using system components to create HDD but I can encrypt it).
About Ghostery: this addon creates additional network connections with Ireland that I can't identify, so I decided to uninstall it completely.

mhartsellm said:
What stands out to me about your config is all the different Ad Blockers. Now I'm one of the few here that have Ad Muncher I do believe, and see absolutely zero ads of any kind.
I'm just curious what real purpose does AdBlock Plus, AdBlock Plus Element Hiding Helper and AdGuard really serve? This just seems to be over kill to me kinda like multiple antivirus programs running at the same time.
AdBlock Plus is integrated into FF and is not system wide, ABP Element Hiding Helper eliminates javascript pop-ups and AdGuard is used to block malicious web sites with the help of Google MDL.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
maxxodd said:
About Ghostery: this addon creates additional network connections with Ireland that I can't identify, so I decided to uninstall it completely.

GHOSTERY includes an opt-in feature called GhostRank, which communicates with GHOSTERY servers, you can try to disable it and see if this behavior will stop.

maxxodd

Thread author
Jun 10, 2011
Jack said:
maxxodd said:

GHOSTERY includes an opt-in feature called GhostRank, which communicates with GHOSTERY servers, you can try to disable it and see if this behavior will stop.

Thanks for the info, Jack. Will do this and I will share my results with community.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From AdBlock you can set a subscription filter with Malware Filter Subscription and you can updated automatically.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.