Run full backups weekly with daily incremental using Acronis TI
Once per month full backup with Farstone Total Recovery
Run Registry Mechanic once per month - scheduled
Run Perfect disk on daily schedule - when system idle
Windows OS C:, All data on D:, Backups of both to E:

D

Deleted member 178

First to reply :D

btw, do you use Win7 Firewall or you play without one?

I think you will have better choices than MSE, If as i guess , you are looking for a light config, i will suggest you, Panda Cloud AV or Avira free.

mayers57

Thread author
Jul 15, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
First to reply :D

btw, do you use Win7 Firewall or you play without one?

I think you will have better choices than MSE, If as i guess , you are looking for a light config, i will suggest you, Panda Cloud AV or Avira free.

You're right, forgot the firewall. Yes I use Window's Firewall and you are also correct in my lightweight config. I've tried so many combinations and all just weigh me down. This combo has served me well with no compromise in speed. Your suggestion of Panda Cloud has definitely intrigued me of late, since I have a fast line, and I did research it. Haven't tried Avira free. I understand what you are saying about MSE and it was a risky decision for me, but so far this combo has been good for me. No combo is perfect, it's all a big risk no matter what you run.
Mike

P

Plexx

Perfect disk on daily basis is something I wouldn't recommend, unless you keep uninstalling and reinstalling large files over and over again every 24 hours.

He has MSE but at the same time Kingsoft so I believe he is ok with it.

mayers57

Thread author
Jul 15, 2012
Perfect Disk is set to defrag when the disk has 5% fragmentation or more, otherwise it will not run. It's cool because I don't have to think about it. Set it and forget it.

P

Plexx

mayers57 said:
No combo is perfect, it's all a big risk no matter what you run.
Mike

Some combos pose higher risk than others. It is also to note the user is also one cause of risk (habits, surfing patterns, etc)

Same with your on demand scanners: if your security risk is low, why running 3 on demand scanner nightly?

Not even the paranoid umbra does that:p

By the looks of your config, Perfect Disk on real time services doing scheduled tasks daily for starts will slow down your machine at one stage, so I don't fully understand how can you call that a lightweight config.

I am also a Perfect Disk user but I only use it on demand every few months.

There is simply no need to run daily defrags.

Sure most tasks are ran on schedule. you took the automated route instead, but do you truly rely solely on automatic actions?

mayers57

Thread author
Jul 15, 2012
LOL Guilty, Yeah I am paranoid. I run scans every night just in case.
By lightweight config my intention is not to have every file I open slightly delayed
or every webpage hesitate a sec or so. Trying to get quick responses from all my
apps. It kills me to buy these high priced, fast CPUs and then weigh it down with
protection. I run perfect disk for the same reasons. Anything to keep those delays
to a minimum.
Mike

D

Deleted member 178

mayers57 said:

that is understndable :D

By lightweight config my intention is not to have every file I open slightly delayed
or every webpage hesitate a sec or so. Trying to get quick responses from all my
apps. It kills me to buy these high priced, fast CPUs and then weigh it down with
protection. I run perfect disk for the same reasons. Anything to keep those delays
to a minimum.

Also understandable :D

But defragging your disk all the time will put a strain on it ( i even disable some AV logs to avoid that) and give you not much better responsiveness, to really improve it, follow my (marvelous? Fantastic?) Guide

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Erm....

Even though you have Kingsoft I would still suggest that you switch to something else like Avast or Avira.

They are still light as I used them in the past and I still use Avast to this date and never experienced a slowdown.

Its just that MSE has a terrible detection rate and little features that others have.

mayers57

Thread author
Jul 15, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
mayers57 said:

that is understndable :D

to a minimum.

Also understandable :D

But defragging your disk all the time will put a strain on it ( i even disable some AV logs to avoid that) and give you not much better responsiveness, to really improve it, follow my (marvelous? Fantastic?) Guide

Actually I couldn't agree more with that Fantastic, Marvelous guide lol.
I definitely tweak out my start up and unnecessary processes. Black Viper is a resource I have used before with good results.

mayers57

Thread author
Jul 15, 2012
Well I have to say thanks to all who responded with their suggestions.
It provides alternatives and validation for my choices. I really appreciate
the feedback. Sharing information is what makes us all more secure.
I'm all about sharing info.
Thanks guys
Mike

mayers57

Thread author
Jul 15, 2012
Speaking of sharing, no one has mentioned about my modified hosts file. Ever since I have
employed this file I know I have saved myself from many possible infections. I have noticed
a big difference in the way web pages display. You can check it out at and let me know what
you guys think.
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
Mike

P

Plexx

umbrapolaris said:
You will have more suggestions coming ^^

Alert Alert: Umbra Virus approaching.

CIS would be on umbra's next response along with EAM.

At OP: we are all here to help and share experiences but yeah as umbra said, defrag everytime will just put a strain on the HDD.

Also, Perfect Disk 12 at least constantly runs processes even without scheduled tasks.

I know that the method to disable them and only have them when you start PD are available up to version 11.

Paranoid user with MSE? well I would suggest what 3link9 said.

D

Deleted member 178

mayers57 said:
Speaking of sharing, no one has mentioned about my modified hosts file.

i integrated it manually into my Emsisoft AM' s Surf Protection, most of the members here use MVPS via Hostman, so it is why u didn't have mention about it , it is a normal to-do thing here ^^

@Biozfear: no i will not suggest him to copy my combo (CIS + EAM) , i will let him do it by himself (you catch a virus , the virus doesn't catch you) :p (just joking)

P

Plexx

umbrapolaris said:
@Biozfear: no i will not suggest him to copy my combo (CIS + EAM) , i will let him do it by himself (you catch a virus , the virus doesn't catch you) :p (just joking)

You just did on that post :p

mayers57

Thread author
Jul 15, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
mayers57 said:
Speaking of sharing, no one has mentioned about my modified hosts file.

i integrated it manually into my Emsisoft AM' s Surf Protection, most of the members here use MVPS via Hostman, so it is why u didn't have mention about it , it is a normal to-do thing here ^^

Excellent

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.