Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Neowin.net said:
pAoP6.jpg

While we have been reporting on the antics of its founder, John McAfee, in recent weeks, some might forget that the company he formed is still one of the biggest names in the antivirus industry. Today, McAfee (the company now owned by Intel) released its annual report that tries to predict the threats that will show up in terms of malware and other online attacks in the next 12 months.

The report, in PDF format, predicts that in 2013 we will see "rapid development of ways to attack Windows 8". While McAfee does say that Windows 8 is more secure than other versions of Windows released in the past, that doesn't mean malware creators and hackers can't go after it. It states:

Now that the underground market for attack and malware kits is much more competitive than three years ago, it is likely that Windows 8–specific malware will be available quicker than Windows 7–specific malware appeared.

Read more.

P

Plexx

McAfee's prediction is what is called in Online games: Target the FOTM (Flavor Of The Month).

If by targeting Windows 8 meaning changing some coding etc that will in turn not really work for windows 7 (like some malware designed to for x86 and won't do anything on x64), then I wouldn't be that concerned since I will be on W7 for quite some time without the intention to change.

On the other hand, I do not see W8 being used long enough as opposed to XP and 7. If anything I see a trend of Vista.

Lets have a look at windows history: skipping 3.1 and lower, 95 good, 98 ok, 98 2nd edition good, ME ok/acceptable, XP good, Vista ok/acceptable (being modest until SP2 was released that finally made it more stable), Seven good, Eight ok/too early to fully draw conclusions.

Does the example above show any pattern? I say it does.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
While it might be true, This is just a way for McAfee to scare people into buying McAfee products.

All my family members use free security software and are managing a virus free PC life just fine so run along now McAfee! :rolleyes:

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
MrXidus said:
While it might be true, This is just a way for McAfee to scare people into buying McAfee products.

All my family members use free security software and are managing a virus free PC life just fine so run along now McAfee! :rolleyes:
Yeah. Norton, Kaspersky, all did this 'Windows 8 is more secure, but still LINK TO OUR SHOP BECAUSE YOU ARE NEVER SECURE ENOUGH WITHOUT US' thing.

Never pay for non-free either...

Nor using Win8. Partly because I'm one of the now not so few people who get a d@mn black screen or restart loop. Fail :rolleyes:.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Given that Windows 8 is only a few months old i would be surprised if there wasn't a "rapid development" of attacks against the OS...

D

Deleted member 178

no need to be Mcaffee to predict Win8 future attacks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.