Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
For any interested, Mcafee Labs publishes Quarterly a report that sums up threats and various other malware items of interest. It is actually a good, albeit extensive, read for those with a need to know.

One point of caution: Mcafee, like many other Security outfits, does not distinguish between "new" and "unique" when enumerating how many samples they detected over a period of time. So one will often see new samples in the millions, where the "new" are just slight modifications of the same old thing (ie Ransomware with different contact info, downloaders with different conect IP's, backdoors with differing carriers, various malware with verbose code being nopped out a bit at a time). But it does sound scarier stating "10 million new samples found" rather then "10 million variants of the same old thing found".

Enough of a rant- the Mcafee pdf can be found here:

http://www.mcafee.com/au/resources/reports/rp-quarterly-threat-q3-2013.pdf

SilverLee92

Nov 22, 2013
I always read these reports as they are very informative.
I haven't seen such a scarier place then the Deep/Dark Web like it says that European Citizens can purchase firearms and can even hire a hitman. Creeeeepy.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Interesting report, Especially the Deep web part, That hitman network freaks me out.

I

illumination

It is interesting, also looks a lot like this one ;)

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-McAfee-lab-threat-reports-third-quarter-2013

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Yikes! That one totally slipped by me. I guess it was a report so nice it had to be posted twice.

(Apologies)

I

illumination

cruelsister said:
Yikes! That one totally slipped by me. I guess it was a report so nice it had to be posted twice.

(Apologies)

No apologies necessary, as im prone to do this every once in awhile myself.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.