"Mega" to Replace "Megaupload"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
By keeping details of files uploaded on Mega secret from the site's administrators, Mr Dotcom said he believed this would mean the site was not in violation of US laws.

"The new Mega will not be threatened by US prosecutors," he said.

"The new Mega avoids any dealings with US hosters, US domains and US backbone providers and has changed the way it operates to avoid another takedown."

That is a prime example of how sloppy this is going to get. Due process will be left out in the cold and quid pro quo related to red tape dissolution favors from lawyers and judges will complement the high taxes and ridiculous regulation that this will become. Think of how regulated, taxed and chaotic the world is. Now think of the cyber world that is just as complex and large with a whole new set of regulations, taxes and chaotic controversy. That is going to be the new internet if they are really serious about treating the viewer like the uploader and hoster that infringes on copyrights. I guess they figure that the hoster and uploaders will have a lot more money to pay fines and give to lawyers than viewers will, thus the viewers and listeners of online media will be the ones that are made into an example from their prison cell.

Many people used to record music right off of the radio. If that was illegal, it was hard to track. Now, with the internet, a police state mentality is smiling ear-to-ear because they know they can track everything all the time. They can then operate the flawless syndicate that they have always dreamed of: one where everyone online is guilty of violating some code or law as soon as they connect to the internet. Most of all, the Executive branch will know EVERY SINGLE cyber "violator" as opposed to just a handful in the real world. Taxes and fine revenue will double overnight to punish people for doing the online equivalent of rolling through a stop sign, or doing 10 over the speed limit.

Before we become boy scouts about how concerned we are about copyright infringement, or how cut and dried the law books are before lawyers and Federal judges get a hold of them, we should recognize that most governments are not after justice, but they are after profit and power. I guarantee you it will not be about customer service, quality, protecting and serving, but it will be about BOTTOM LINE and STATUS QUO. It will be the new "good ol' boy clique", where the weak are trampled and the powerful are in the know and able to maneuver with friends in high places and cash flow. The fact that higher tax rates are futile during recessions and depressions will fuel the flames even more when considering our current economic slide. It is a vicious cycle and the Federal government has NO SOLUTIONS, but only penalties.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Countries where sharing files without profit is legal

Downloading copied music is legal in some countries in the context of the copyright, such as Canada,[20] The Netherlands,[21] Spain,[22] and Panama,[citation needed] provided that the songs are not sold. In Canada it is legal to download any copyrighted file as long as it is for noncommercial use, but it is illegal to distribute the copyrighted files (e.g. by uploading them to a P2P network).[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

Russian law

Downloading music and films for home use is legal due to exception provided by section 1273 of Russian Federation Civil Code. A special 1% compensatory levy intended for copyright holders is collected from the price of certain goods (like computers or clean CD-RW disks).[citation needed] The compensation mechanism is unclear, though, and left entirely in the hands of the collecting agency established at the same time, with Nikita Mikhalkov, a prominent film director and political figure, at its helm.[citation needed]

The enforcement of copyright is the responsibility of the copyright holder.[7] Article 50 of the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPs) requires that signatory countries enable courts to remedy copyright infringement with injunctions and the destruction of infringing products, and award damages.[5] Copyright holders have started to demand through the ACTA trade agreement that states act to defend copyright holders' rights and enforce copyright law through active policing of copyright infringement.[8] It has also been demanded that states provide criminal sanctions for all types of copyright infringement and pursue copyright infringement through administrative procedures, rather than the judicial due process required by TRIPs.[7]

Canada seems to have it right. Russia's code would be better for the nation as a whole than the path we may be going down.

treefrog'

Oct 28, 2012
I don't wanna appear to jump on the "bandwagon" and wanna keep it short,
that been said I have to say - ZOU1 thanks for responding so eloquently
I totally agree this issue is more about the big picture (lol)
and dont believe it's a black or white issue, you have to read between the lines
there's a lot more at sake here than a downloaded movie or song, the future of our online freedom is been threatened, are we going to sit by and do nothing ? only complain when we realize the flow of all information is government controlled ?
by then I imagine it will be too late

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
there's a lot more at sake here than a downloaded movie or song, the future of our online freedom is been threatened

Exactly.

Canada's policy on this seems more realistic and rational. I believe that is due to the fact there is no DNC or Hollywood in Canada swapping spit to scratch each others back. Same with Russia eventhough Russia's approach suits big government to a certain extent.
The government would do well to adopt some rational policy when dealing with this topic rather than passing more laws for judges to misinterpret or blatantly ignore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Policy

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
ZOU1 said:
I am not one to sweat laws;

Yes, that is obvious...

ZOU1 said:
I speed every day and roll through a few stop signs,

Well aren't you the little rebel? I'm glad I don't live near you. ;)

ZOU1 said:
and there are thousands of laws on the books that rarely, if ever, get enforced.

Not that they aren't. You just haven't been caught yet.

ZOU1 said:
It is the "big picture" regarding the emergence of an out-of-control police state that uses the internet to rapidly expand restriction of basic freedoms.

You're getting confused here... The "big picture" has always been there.

To use your analogy of reading a book in Barnes and Noble, that isn't the problem here. It's not illegal to read a book that isn't yours. Yes, you can read it in the bookstore. You can check it out of a library, or borrow it from a friend. That is not the problem.

The problem is if you make a copy of said book. (Reproduce it) That is what violates copyright laws.

It's just like you can borrow a CD from a friend and listen to it, (check it out from the library...) or even buy it used. However, if you borrow it and make a copy of it, then you've broken the law.

Whether or not you choose to believe it, you are reproducing (copying) a movie when you watch it on your computer. If you haven't reproduced it, you will have nothing to watch!

This is not a new thing. This is not the government using the internet to restrict our basic freedoms. This is the "big picture" that has already existed for hundreds of years. (I'm not exactly sure when copyright laws were introduced. :blush: )

You've never actually had these "basic freedoms" you speak of. (If by "basic freedoms", you mean that you should be able to copy anything you want) It's always been illegal to do this. (at least as long as there have been copyright laws) It's just easier for you to get caught doing it with the internet. :rolleyes:

I suspect that is what you're actually having issues with. :p

MDTechVideos

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Can someone just please close this thread. It is getting really annoying to listen to everyone having a political debate over pirated material. I think some people think its good and some think it's bad. This has gone way past just a leisure conversation about what this thread is really supposed to be about. I am all for an debate when one is needed, but this dispute is just silly and seeing how everyone has a different unpersuadable view, why keep this going on?

Peace out everyone and have a good day.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Not that they aren't. You just haven't been caught yet.

Caught listening to music on Pandora? Caught watching a movie on Youtube or Netflix? No, I don't have issues with that.

You ever look at the backside of a traffic citation and read the long list of things that happen around you all the time, on the road, yet police never seem enforce them, nor are they capable of seeing everything all the time, or storing logs of all such events? Things like; following to closely, driving side by side, improper signaling, etc. Now in Germany they are a little more strict about it, but it is a good example of what I meant by laws not being enforced.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Can someone just please close this thread

I am sure I can speak for HeffeD and say that we did not intend to offend you with our quasi debate. Eventhough it has broadened a little, it is still relevant to the thread.

If you feel it is crucial to shut this thread down, be my guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.