Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
For the past few days, Twitter has been causing a lot of waves for its haphazard way of laying off roughly 50% of its workforce. The company has been sued for initiating layoffs without giving enough notice and has been criticized by some political leaders too. The situation has worsened to the point that the social media company is now asking some former employees to return.

Now, it seems like Meta is ready to announce layoffs this week too, with the move impacting thousands of employees.

Although the scale in terms of percentages won't be the same as Twitter, the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reports that Meta will cut headcount by thousands out of its current workforce of roughly 90,000 employees globally. This will be the biggest layoff round in the firm's history and is also expected to be the biggest in terms of headcount reduction when it comes to big tech firms within the past year.

Meta has declined to comment on the report, but it won't be entirely surprising if it is indeed true. In September, we learned that Meta is aggressively restructuring its organization, with layoffs expected to begin soon.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I fear in Meta's case, this time, it may be automation. Introduction of a decently successful VR branch, data is worth more than people like to admit, not a lot of competitors in many of their Facebook integrated/adjacent services and so on...

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I fear in Meta's case, this time, it may be automation. Introduction of a decently successful VR branch, data is worth more than people like to admit, not a lot of competitors in many of their Facebook integrated/adjacent services and so on...
This was my first thought on reading this. I wonder how many people who have been working on Ai/automation software have put themselves out of a job? I've got no real idea on this, if you're good at this you'll probably be retained to work in other unemployment creating AI projects.

Pixelman

Level 4
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Meta announces mass layoff of more than 11,000 employees worldwide
Today, Mark Zuckerberg announced that Meta will be firing more than 11,000 employees, which is about 13% of its total strength. He added that Meta is taking a number of additional steps to become a "leaner and more efficient" company. Meta will also be cutting discretionary spending and extending hiring freeze through Q1.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Meta announces mass layoff of more than 11,000 employees worldwide

In this linked report a connection is also made to certain steps taken by Apple as being a contributing factor for this as well - "The reference to “signal loss” is thought to relate to Zuckerberg’s long-running dispute with Apple, which in 2021 limited the amount of data, or “signals”, Facebook could gather about the behaviour of iPhone users. That loss, Zuckerberg has regularly said, made it harder for small businesses to use Facebook adverts to profitably acquire new customers..."

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Shedding the equivalent of a small city, right?

Zuckerberg said his previous decision to increase spending didn't pay off as he thought it would and that Meta's "revenue outlook is lower than we expected at the beginning of this year."

"...Not only has online commerce returned to prior trends, but the macroeconomic downturn, increased competition, and ads signal loss have caused our revenue to be much lower than I'd expected. I got this wrong, and I take responsibility for that."

Meta had 87,314 employees as of September 30, 2022, an increase of 28 percent over the previous 12 months.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.