Not open for further replies.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
The announcement that Windows 10 (final) would be launched on 29th July took a lot of people by surprise, including yours truly. The general consensus being that October was the most likely general release date for the new operating system. Now, in a recent blog post, Microsoft has indicated that Windows 10 will not be available for the majority of people on July 29th, and that the July 29 date is more of a guideline than an actual hard launch.

The Windows blog post presented by Terry Myerson describes a staggered delivery approach beginning from29th July:

Starting on July 29, we will start rolling out Windows 10 to our Windows Insiders. From there, we will start notifying reserved systems in waves, slowly scaling up after July 29th. Each day of the roll-out, we will listen, learn and update the experience for all Windows 10 users.

Read more here. https://davescomputertips.com/microsoft-backtracks-on-windows-10-delivery-date/

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Wasn't this announced like 2-3 weeks ago?
I can't imagine even the MS servers to be able to handle millions of users downloading 3-5GB at the same time, so it's getting rolled out in waves to give your users the maximum speed and comfort for the update.

Reactions: Ink and frogboy

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I am not surprised at all. Last time, I installed a build (10162) on my laptop, my intel display driver was still crashing every time I resumed from stand by/sleep, etc.

Reactions: frogboy

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Definitely a backpedal at least. Is it wrong to feel a sense of justice when a company falls victim to its own hype? :rolleyes:

10162 seems to be more (and serious) buggy than 10159; I have 159 on my main and laptop and 162 on the VM and there are issues (IE constantly crashes, netplwiz stopped working) that keep me from using it. I'm expecting a new build today, assuming they decide on a RTM as scheduled.

There was a Windows Update driver update for Intel displays--I don't like using WUpdate drivers for they are bad news.

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Haha...I thought it was too good to be true,I guess.

I'm more than willing to wait before I actually start rolling it out to my closest users.:D

Reactions: frogboy

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You don't have to wait; it's been previewed for months now. I like it, even with its quirkiness.

Tell ya what, run Comodo Internet Security and you'll think Win10 is a polished product! :eek: :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Wasn't this announced like 2-3 weeks ago?
I can't imagine even the MS servers to be able to handle millions of users downloading 3-5GB at the same time, so it's getting rolled out in waves to give your users the maximum speed and comfort for the update.

I am surprised that other members aren't on the same boat as you. The Get Windows 10 app is as you described.

Reactions: Enju

sid_16

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
On the month July dated-29th the PCs will be shipped with windows10 and on that day 29th July, people will start receiving the (free) upgrade but only a complete idiot would think all the millions of computers around the world who are eligible for the free update/upgrade would get it on the 29th. The guy writing that blog must fall into that category. :D

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Because of P2P/mesh transfers in Settings | "Choose how updates are delivered", it's less of an issue--in fact, the more users downloading, the better.

For the video driver, I would get it from Intel.

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Yes, no cloud servers can handle if several thousand users try to download 3GB of data at the same time and adding to that the bugs during the initial launch, especially when its a software that's incredibly huge & its a OS at the same time. :p

Reactions: Enju and frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No need to rush for that, Microsoft priority are from nearby regions first until the time those Asia and other continent will be serve by upgrade process.

As long it meets the requirement then nothing should worry about. ;)

Reactions: LabZero and frogboy

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Yes, no cloud servers can handle if several thousand users try to download 3GB of data at the same time and adding to that the bugs during the initial launch, especially when its a software that's incredibly huge & its a OS at the same time.
What is your basis? This and far more is done all the time, daily. Heard of WoW? 3,000 users getting continuous real-time data per shard....a decade ago.

Article on assessing Azure cloud capacity: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj953500.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

How many users do you think Google has? (and database requests are far more CPU/storage intensive)

Not to mention you ignored the P2P part of Win10 update delivery.

I'd be more concerned with the individual's ISP.

3GB isn't "incredibly huge"...look at games...and they use the same cloud services (ESO is 80GB, uses Amazon).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.