Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Microsoft plans to expand the list of file extensions that are banned in Outlook for the web (previously known as Outlook Web Access (OWA)).
The list, which previously included 104 file extensions, will be expanded "soon" with 38 new entries.
These new entries are file types that are regularly used to deliver malware to Outlook inboxes.
Once added to the list of blocked file extensions, users won't be able to download any of these types of files from their inboxes -- unless the Outlook/Exchange administrator has whitelisted a particular file extension on purpose, using a special config.
"The newly blocked file types are rarely used, so most organizations will not be affected by the change," the Microsoft Exchange team said in an announcement yesterday.

The 38 new file extensions that will soon be banned in Outlook for the web include:

Read

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I think everyone is getting this story wrong. I found the master list, which contains most of the extensions that have been added. That list is 104 processes. Yet, there are 8 more, including 6 java processes that are not even in MS' master list. I counted all together 112 process types that are banned. Here is the master with the new file types:

That's the 104. From the list of new ones I have been seeing everywhere there are the 8 more to bring the total to 112. Appears the news services are reporting incorrectly that there will be 142 blocked now. idk, maybe I am wrong, but it's a pretty handy list for protecting vulnerable applications...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.