Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
System requirements haven't changed too much since Windows Vista came to be and they will remain the same in Windows 10 as well, so computers running this old operating system should also be able to run the modern version.

That's what Gabriel Aul, head of the Windows Insider boss, has said in a short tweet today, confirming that Microsoft has been hard at work to keep system requirements unchanged when developing a new version of Windows.
Windows 10 system requirements
It's a well-known fact that Windows Vista wasn't quite the most reliable operating system at first, so its small market share doesn't come as a big surprise, but if you still run it right now, your computer should have no issue to cope with Windows 10 without any hardware upgrade.

Here are the current system requirements of Windows 10 Technical Preview, which are very unlikely to change in the final version of the operating system:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
A Microsoft account and Internet access

And if you're wondering, here are the system requirements of Windows Vista, which are very similar to those of Windows 10:

1-gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 1-GHz 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB of system memory
128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
40-GB hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space (the 15 GB of free space provides room for temporary file storage during the install or upgrade)

Microsoft hoping to convince users to upgrade
One of the reasons Microsoft decided to keep system requirements unchanged is its effort to move users from old Windows versions to new ones, so offering a new operating system that would run on old hardware is clearly a must in this case.

Windows XP users, on the other hand, have no other option than to upgrade, as their old PCs won't have what it takes to run Windows 10. At least not without hardware upgrade.

@kiranbabutvm System requirements for Win10 are same as for Win8 (was mostly same as 7 and Vista.) Older PCs can upgrade, w/ some exceptions
— Gabriel Aul (@GabeAul) January 14, 2015
Source

Reactions: TrojanSmart

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
windows vista,7, 8, 8.1 and now 10. the requirement never changed but it was never ever enough, 1 gig of ram cause vista to be call slow operating system which isn't quite accurate. 1 gig of ram just wasn't enough

Last edited:

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Probably for OS alone, everything else that is installed today requires more RAM, more GHz from CPU and so on especially if graphics is 3D and animated.

Reactions: nissimezra

ScaleCraft

Jan 22, 2015
System requirements haven't changed too much since Windows Vista came to be and they will remain the same in Windows 10 as well, so computers running this old operating system should also be able to run the modern version.

That's what Gabriel Aul, head of the Windows Insider boss, has said in a short tweet today, confirming that Microsoft has been hard at work to keep system requirements unchanged when developing a new version of Windows.
Windows 10 system requirements
It's a well-known fact that Windows Vista wasn't quite the most reliable operating system at first, so its small market share doesn't come as a big surprise, but if you still run it right now, your computer should have no issue to cope with Windows 10 without any hardware upgrade.

Here are the current system requirements of Windows 10 Technical Preview, which are very unlikely to change in the final version of the operating system:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
A Microsoft account and Internet access

And if you're wondering, here are the system requirements of Windows Vista, which are very similar to those of Windows 10:

1-gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 1-GHz 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB of system memory
128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
40-GB hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space (the 15 GB of free space provides room for temporary file storage during the install or upgrade)

Microsoft hoping to convince users to upgrade
One of the reasons Microsoft decided to keep system requirements unchanged is its effort to move users from old Windows versions to new ones, so offering a new operating system that would run on old hardware is clearly a must in this case.

Windows XP users, on the other hand, have no other option than to upgrade, as their old PCs won't have what it takes to run Windows 10. At least not without hardware upgrade.

Source
My XP machine is 1.43GB of RAM, 2GC speed, 320GB of free disc. Theoretically, I could load 10. Or 8. Or 7. Or be really dense and load Vista.
I have 8....now 8.1. It is the stupidest, orneriest, kludge-iest piece of stuff I've ever had the misfortune to own.
Still working on it more than two years later. Start8 was a big help. Picasa, and killing the MS photo "app" was another. I just last week loaded OE Classic. Much better than Thunderbird. OpenOffice...so no MS Office.
Then there was the 8.1 rework of my already intact desktop. "My Computer" was gone...hole where it was. Down in the corner, "This PC", wherein I finally found My Computer....create shortcut, rename, kill This PC.
I jump between XP desktop and 8.1 laptop...and I need it to look and work similarly.
For 10, I keep reading about snap screens, double and quad, app this, app that, MS store, skydrive.....I want and use one screen. I don't need multiple screens. I killed the store, cloud, apps. Refused to create a MS Account.
I know folks at Redmond MS...they tell me I am a dinosaur. Yeah, right down to the 2.1TB External Hard Drive with a Macrium Reflect Image of the whole system, including my XP Pro OS.
Looking at the latest batch of botched MS updates....I remember those. Computing in the 21st Century doesn't seem to be as intuitive as it was in the 20th.
If the Toshiba laptop I bought had XP drivers available, it would have had XP two weeks after purchase.
Now MS wants to give 10 to 7 and 8 users.......not me. If I have to move away from what I am comfortable with, I have a spare tower in the corner with Ubuntu on it, and I'd learn THAT before I'd get into the migraines of another MS product.
Dave

Reactions: nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
My XP machine is 1.43GB of RAM, 2GC speed, 320GB of free disc. Theoretically, I could load 10. Or 8. Or 7. Or be really dense and load Vista.
I have 8....now 8.1. It is the stupidest, orneriest, kludge-iest piece of stuff I've ever had the misfortune to own.
Still working on it more than two years later. Start8 was a big help. Picasa, and killing the MS photo "app" was another. I just last week loaded OE Classic. Much better than Thunderbird. OpenOffice...so no MS Office.
Then there was the 8.1 rework of my already intact desktop. "My Computer" was gone...hole where it was. Down in the corner, "This PC", wherein I finally found My Computer....create shortcut, rename, kill This PC.
I jump between XP desktop and 8.1 laptop...and I need it to look and work similarly.
For 10, I keep reading about snap screens, double and quad, app this, app that, MS store, skydrive.....I want and use one screen. I don't need multiple screens. I killed the store, cloud, apps. Refused to create a MS Account.
I know folks at Redmond MS...they tell me I am a dinosaur. Yeah, right down to the 2.1TB External Hard Drive with a Macrium Reflect Image of the whole system, including my XP Pro OS.
Looking at the latest batch of botched MS updates....I remember those. Computing in the 21st Century doesn't seem to be as intuitive as it was in the 20th.
If the Toshiba laptop I bought had XP drivers available, it would have had XP two weeks after purchase.
Now MS wants to give 10 to 7 and 8 users.......not me. If I have to move away from what I am comfortable with, I have a spare tower in the corner with Ubuntu on it, and I'd learn THAT before I'd get into the migraines of another MS product.
Dave
i understand your point of view, MS mess up things and added crap that 99% of the users won't need.
WE JUST WANT A SIMPLE OPERATING SYSTEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.