Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Devices running Microsoft's Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade are 58 percent less likely to become infected with ransomware than machines that use Windows 7, according to a new report from Microsoft.

Windows Defender, the antivirus suite included in Windows 10 detected a 400 percent increase in the number of ransomware encounters from December 2005 to July 2016, the report stated.

Microsoft said its data intelligence tools blocked on average 200,000 exploit kit attempts per day during the last six months.

The software maker hardened the Microsoft Edge browser, blocking email attachments as a ransomware distribution method, and making use of machine learning to identify and block malware.

Windows enterprise and security group's director of program management Rob Lefferts wrote in a Microsoft blog post that Windows 10 “locked down Microsoft Edge so that an exploit running in the browser cannot execute another program.”

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
don't panic, VS is free :D:D

Unfortunately most secure is if you check the box. Check the threads of a trusted parent process. But this is not in the free version.And some credible zero day malware can create harmful under process in the free version.Therefore, it is good to have a full version.

Automatically allow parent process
VS_SS2.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I believe that Microsoft have decent laboratories for collecting some samples including ransomware, thus easily register to the database of Windows Defender and IE/Edge. So not surprise since all AV's are attentive for these trendy threats.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Is comodo sandbox with all rules set to "block" a good alternative to a program such as voodooshield?

That's my security approach, I have a traditional signature AV (avast) then comodo firewall with all sandbox rules set to "block" so they are not alowed to run even sandboxed...

Reactions: Der.Reisende

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Antimalware18: Good approach as long the programs will not out turn to be false positive.

But why not use the HIPS instead rather autosandbox? Since you want everything to be lockdown.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
How do you prevent ransomware? What's the best antivirus/anti-malware for it?
Common sense, virtualizing any file that is potentially likely to be infected with a SandBox or VM, and updated AV and Firewall. Also have regular updates on an external drive and a backup software.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
@Antimalware18: Good approach as long the programs will not out turn to be false positive.

But why not use the HIPS instead rather autosandbox? Since you want everything to be lockdown.

I'm not the only user on this PC, its my wife as well and shes not quite as computer savvy...if she got a HIPS popup while i was at work perse and couldn't choose a action it wouldn't be good.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.