Microsoft Edge: better than Chrome blocking malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Hello guys. I've been testing Microsoft Edge in my laptop (Windows 10) with Ublock Origin installed, and i've noticed that when i visit the "dark side" ((torrent webs, cracks, serials, etc...) really it blocks a lot of popups more than Chrome with Ublock Origin, and its Smartscreen filter is really effective against malware. What's your opinion?

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hello guys. I've been testing Microsoft Edge in my laptop (Windows 10) with Ublock Origin installed, and i've noticed that when i visit the "dark side" (torrent webs, cracks, serials, etc...), really it blocks a lot of popups more than Chrome with Ublock Origin, and its Smartscreen filter is really effective against malware. What's your opinion?
according to a few reports, yes, smartscreen is more effective than Google safe browsing
I can confirm that Google chrome's popup blocker absolutely sucks. It couldn't block even half of the popups I get. I have to install Popup Blocker (strict) extension to strengthen GC's popup blocker

ublock origin + ublock origin extra + popup blocker (strict) + avira browser safety => thumbs up

D

Deleted member 178

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Google Chrome really misses a lot of popups (Firefox and Edge's built-in blockers are much better). But in my own-experience, uBlock Origin actually does a good job; when the popup is missed, uBO often prevents the page from loading and you can improve it by adding additional filters and lists.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yeah cool stats my brother Umbra, now lets share with him the very real reality of the most
undesirable watch lists he is most likely already on seeing he uses Edge a MS product to frequent pirate hotspots, then posts about it on Security related forums ;)

Last edited:

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Yeah cool stats my brother Umbra, now lets share with him the very real reality of the most
undesirable watch lists he is most likely already on seeing he uses Edge a MS product to frequent pirate hotspots, then posts about it on Security related forums ;)

Nooop. I was only for testing purposes ;). In fact, i'm not using pirated software

Reactions: Rengar

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Nooop. I was only for testing purposes ;). In fact, i'm not using pirated software
Well, dont be so absolute about "not using pirated software". In my opinion everyone just for one time did so chill :)

Reactions: Malakke

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Well, dont be so absolute about "not using pirated software". In my opinion everyone just for one time did so chill :)

Certainly, you're right :D, but i'm getting older and i no longer have the strength to fight on the "dark side"

Reactions: Rengar

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I'm an Edge user. It is effective against malware but absolutely not against phishing

Reactions: Malakke

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Edge with smart screen offers very good security but still is a bit heavy on my system that's why i don't use it a lot.
Smart screen does block a lot of staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.