Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge nags users with a 3D banner

lokamoka820

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
Microsoft really wants you to use its Edge web browser, and the company is always looking for new ways to bug you about it. Now there’s a brand new popup that appears when opening Edge on Windows.

There’s a new popup rolling out in Microsoft Edge that appears when the browser is opened and isn’t the current default browser—for example, when opening a PDF or selecting a link in the Start Menu search. The popup asks you to switch your default browser setting to Microsoft Edge with a snazzy new animation. It doesn’t seem to appear in Edge on Mac or Linux, only Windows.

The popup suggests using “Microsoft recommended browser settings,” and says, “Microsoft Edge helps you stay protected while you browse by blocking phishing and malware attacks.” If you click the main button, Edge opens the Windows settings for changing the default web browser. In typical Microsoft interface design fashion, the only options on the popup are “Confirm” or “Set later.” Edge will ask you again.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Jan 8, 2011
Yes and No, this mainly affects US and other regions where there is no protection against companies' predatory behaviour. EU users should not see this banner.
It is worth noting that this is not the first time Microsoft has resorted to pop-ups in the Edge browser. We’ve seen similar alerts in the browser, including a pop-up that encourages you to keep using Edge when you try to download Google Chrome.
Source: Microsoft Edge nags users with a 3D banner to change Windows 11's default browser

Mod edit: Changed thread title.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Yes and No, this mainly affects US and other regions where there is no protection against companies' predatory behaviour. EU users should not see this banner.
What is new? I'm from Europe and I've seen a popup to make Edge the default browser since i can remember. Just refuse and it will go away. It has always happened with every other browser as well.

Reactions: lokamoka820

lokamoka820

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v "DefaultBrowserSettingEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
I don't know, I don't try to modify settings from the registry.
What is new? I'm from Europe and I've seen a popup to make Edge the default browser since i can remember. Just refuse and it will go away. It has always happened with every other browser as well.
I think it will ask you every time with this update, it asks me once every three time I open the browser already, not just once, I think it depends on the region as @Ink mentioned.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.