Rishi

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Microsoft Enters The Marijuana Business With Plant Tracking Software Partnership
Microsoft has high hopes for the budding marijuana industry. So much so that it announced that it will enter the pot business through a new partnership with the marijuana tech startup Kind Financial.

With this new partnership, Microsoft could help change corporate America's mind about how it views the drug. The federal government classifies marijuana as an illegal substance, but with medical or recreational marijuana now legalized in 25 states, many people — and companies — have been getting more with the times and accepting. If a company is successful in the growing industry, the green could bring in a whole lot of green.

With more IT companies looking to cash in on the crop, Microsoft is now making the bold decision to join in on the venture.

The company is joining forces with Kind on a software system powered through the Azure cloud service.

The Los Angeles-based startup provides software for "seed to sale tracking." Called Agrisoft Seed to Sale, the software gives retail operations, growers and producers in the cannabis industry the tools it needs to adhere to the rules and laws of the industry and safely secure finances at the point-of-sale.

As part of the partnership with Microsoft, the startup announced the launch of Kind Government Solutions, a division specific to helping government agencies monitor aspects of the marijuana business to make sure distributors remain compliant when it comes to the law.

Kind Government Solutions will use the plant-tracking software with Azure so that regulators can also keep track of the amount of money rolling in. Because of the controversial issue, many banks refuse to work with companies that sell marijuana, which means these owners are left stacking and hiding cash from their sales instead of opening an account.

To be clear, Microsoft is not getting hands-on with the growing or selling of marijuana, or with Kind's A.T.M.-like kiosks it has that provide secure sales in partnership with certain banks that have a more relaxed attitude toward the business. To put it to stoners, it's like Microsoft is taking a puff but not inhaling.

"KIND's strategic industry positioning, experienced team and top-notch-technology running in the Microsoft Azure Government cloud, made for an easy decision to align efforts," Kimberly Nelson, Executive Director State and Local Government Solutions from Microsoft, said in a press release. "KIND agreed that Azure Government is the only cloud platform designed to meet government standards for the closely regulated cannabis compliance programs and we look forward to working together to help our government customers launch successful regulatory programs."

Even though Microsoft is just offering its cloud computing service when it comes to the marijuana business, it does signify that it might not be so risky for big corporations to get their feet wet when it comes to the plant.

Source : Microsoft Enters The Marijuana Business With Plant Tracking Software Partnership

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You know Marijuana in majority is indeed an illegal drugs because of being abused.

However in such brighter side, yes for medical purpose. But in the case for Microsoft, hmm... something fishy for Bill Gates.

Although Bill Gates is an active contributor on different foundation, so is not surprising in this situation.

W

Wave

Well the old Windows developers were stoners. I've been through some of the leaked Win2k source code back from 2004 and there were many stoned comments.

And when I design interfaces, they are much better when under the influence. ;)

My friend got 3 years of prison for the post in sicoal network in Russia
If you don't mind me asking, what did he post about? Marijuana? If yes, pretty sure you can't be charged for that! Insufficient evidence, under UK law it's legal to be high but illegal to be caught in possession.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Even though Microsoft is just offering its cloud computing service when it comes to the marijuana business, it does signify that it might not be so risky for big corporations to get their feet wet when it comes to the plant.

Apparently MS is trying a new kind of cloud? Maybe some crazy MS study has shown that marijuana users are less likely to notice flaws in their programming. Who knows what is on the minds of those in control at MS?

I don't know how to explain why I feel like this is a bad precedent for the company and, for me, a bad idea in the short term, too.

W

Wave

Apparently MS is trying a new kind of cloud? Maybe some crazy MS study has shown that marijuana users are less likely to notice flaws in their programming. Who knows what is on the minds of those in control at MS?

I don't know how to explain why I feel like this is a bad precedent for the company and, for me, a bad idea in the short term, too.
I think it is a bad idea for any employees to be stoned while doing anything like programming, cloud management, etc. However for the software designers it can be a good idea as long as the strain they are using is sativa and not indica, it can boost creativity. Many famous inventions were done by someone who was stoned, but it is not always a good idea.

For example when I design graphical user interfaces I can do some amazing work sometimes when I am not sober, but programming when I am not sober? Bad idea, not a chance.

Looking back at Windows 2000, where many developers were most likely stoners, this could have been the reason for many bugs. The leaked Windows 2000 source code back from 2004 has many marijuana references.

That being said, smoking anything is bad for your health since it will affect your lungs and marijuana can have a negative impact on some people (e.g. reduce motivation, cause addiction/trigger mental health problems, etc). Although if consumed via edibles then it could be a better option. Abusing anything is bad for you, same as with alcohol.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
@Wave Been working on a visualization project all week (not a GUI, a file system representation), and I can say I haven't been sober for a second of it. I know exactly where you, and other programmers are coming from with statements like these. A year ago, I wouldn't have believed the concept, now I'm living it.

O

Omnipotent

@Wave Been working on a visualization project all week (not a GUI, a file system representation), and I can say I haven't been sober for a second of it. I know exactly where you, and other programmers are coming from with statements like these. A year ago, I wouldn't have believed the concept, now I'm living it.
Try micro-dosing on psychedelics if you want to be creative. ;)

W

Wave

I cannot do any programming work related to security when I am stoned because I end up watching movies, listening to music, reading funny articles, etc... Or I just cannot think properly. However when it comes to designing, it helps me so much.

Now I am not a software designer and my GUI's are generally not very good however whilst I was working on a project of mine (which hopefully I can release at the start of 2017), the results were very beneficial and I was not sober when developing the GUI. Here's a screenshot:

Snaggy - easy screenshots

I know it still looks empty and some may not like it, but for me it is an achievement, and I am proud of that GUI design alone, since like I said I am not a software designer, but a programmer.

Now I would never do any engine work unless I am sober as I wouldn't be able to concentrate properly to do the best I possibly can, but for the GUI designing, it wouldn't be as good if I hadn't been stoned, and I know this since I had spent at least 2 weeks prior to designing it whilst sober trying to come up with ideas, let alone start the actual designing. Even though I would not do any actual engine programming for my project unless I am sober, I can be completely honest with you and tell you that I have come up with some pretty good ideas for implementation of specific features, whilst not sober.

That being said, I did an English assessment a few months ago as I am re-taking my English GCSE, and I got the highest grade I could get on the course whilst I was not sober. It wasn't planned, I didn't know it was that day, but I found out that day, put my headphones in and what felt like 10 minutes was about 2 hours in reality... And then I was told my grade a few days later, pretty much amazing for me... If I was sober chances are it would have been an E or a D grade instead.

As for security/programming or computing in general, at the end of 2015 I quit and took a break until mid-2016... Why did I get the idea to get back into it? One day I was stoned and decided to do some programming out of the blue, and it got me back into it completely. At the same time I was depressed and had lack of motivation (many personal problems), and my entire perspective changed on this experience and I soon regained back all my motivation. Now I am doing great while sober as well, without feeling "down" or "sad" about things like in the past.

The only thing is that if someone uses it to be creative it may not work at first because they won't be used to it, and it'll be crazy for them at their first time. But after you get used to it after a few times over some time, then you can do some mad creative work... It doesn't just happen before your eyes, you still need to try to think and do the work, but if you focus whilst stoned you will probably think out of the box more often and you should zone into your work and it will feel like 10 minutes when you've been working for an hour in reality.

Anyway, you only live once so enjoy it whilst you can!

Good for Microsoft! :)

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
@Wave @Omnipotent Micro-dosing is definitely the way to go. And it shows with creativity. Maybe not productivity, but once you get in the zone, you stay there. To be honest, it's my substitution instead getting on Adderall or some #####, that's way worse for you. That UI is clean though. I don't think it's too empty. If you were to scale up the graphics and text, I would probably call it bulky. It's looking great as is.

W

Wave

@Wave @Omnipotent Micro-dosing is definitely the way to go. And it shows with creativity. Maybe not productivity, but once you get in the zone, you stay there. To be honest, it's my substitution instead getting on Adderall or some #####, that's way worse for you. That UI is clean though. I don't think it's too empty. If you were to scale up the graphics and text, I would probably call it bulky. It's looking great as is.
Normally I plug in some headphones and within a few seconds I'll be zoned in, and my ears will feel like speakers and the creative thoughts will come to me. :)

And thank you about the GUI being clean :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.