Battle Microsoft, Kaspersky, Norton, most popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiegnz1

Thread author
Nov 9, 2011
The poll is NOT about which is the best but rather, of these ten options which is most likely to prevent an infection. IGNORE all other attributes such as ease of use or which is lighter or faster, etc.

The poll is about the Antivirus software. The poll is addressing realtime PREVENTION ONLY...base your opinion on any version of the software that was released or updated anytime after January 2011.

The intent of this poll is to gather opinions about brand names more so than a specific version...the challenge with this intent is that one brand might improve or get worse relative to other brands. Overtime, however, one brand might tend to consistently hover around the top of the leader board. No simple poll can be perfect and cover all variables.

Nevertheless, provide your opinion based on your best judgement.

NOTE: The above poll is separate and unrelated to the following count that i did.

Here's what i found in the configuration forum:

6 = Microsoft Security Essentials
5 = Norton
5 = Kaspersky
5 = Comodo
4 = Eset
3 = Avast
1 = Avira
1 = Panda
1 = Vipre

To Arrive at this count of votes, I sorted the posts in the configuration wizzard Forum by most views and tallied up the first two pages to see if there was a clear winner.
I only looked for a brand name in the category called "Real Time Protection".

so it can be said that Microsoft, Norton, Kaspersky and Comodo are the most popular Real Time Protection softwares among the malwaretips.com community?
Which is best, I don't know but these are most popular among MalwareTips.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Would have to say Comodo because has alot more features, and the best part that it is free. Also Comodo because it has a fairly good detection rate, firewall is good and you can set it to Advance user mode and beginner mode.

Also, look at some videos of test that have been done with it.

Review by win7holic:

Review by MrXidus:

Review by languy99:

Last edited by a moderator:

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Hmm. This is gonna be a tough choice but from my experiences the best software that prevents infections the best is Comodo Internet Security, A free suite with an AV, Firewall a HIPS and a Sandbox. You also get Cloud Detection and Cloud Behavior Analysis. Other suites doesn't perform as good when the PC doesn't have an internet connection but Comodo still protects better.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
For prevention, I prefer Vipre, because the filter web is very powerful and effective.
but, I seeing to all sides.
ALL of the above product list: I choose CIS.

network86

Oct 12, 2011
This is a tough choice. For me i would say it would be a toss up between Norton and Comodo. With Comodo user interaction is required more, so for the average user i would say Norton. Personally the best for prevention for me is Comodo. With all the correct settings set in Comodo nothing runs or installs on my machine without my say so.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
It is unclear if you are referring to security suites or antivirus products. The pool should consist of full product names. Are some of them suites or they are all Antivirus products? If some of them are suites than antivirus products are in a disadvantage since suites should offer better prevention.

I

illumination

Well, since you asked about Prevention not Detection and or removal, it would be a tie with CIS and KIS and Vipre.. If you watch MrXidus's videos on these products, you will see, all are very capable at prevention. As bogdan stated thou, it is unclear whether these are to be suites or just Anti virus...

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Lol. 100% guaranteed. Anyone thinking that better do a reality check. The only thing in life that is 100$ guaranteed is death. CIS can only be effective if the person behind the mouse has the intelligence enough to answer the pop ups properly.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Norton = Most User Friendly (people install & forget) but the power of Comodo is truely the best prevention when you learn how to use the HIPS.. be even more better for end user when the sandbox for v6 comes into play (of course can't say for sure until released...).

Comodo +1

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Missing a key element in the poll. "The User". Prevention starts between the chair and the keyboard. If you have no common sense any security you install is worthless. Safe surfing and using what's between your ears is the first step in preventing malware.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Maximus said:
Missing a key element in the poll. "The User". Prevention starts between the chair and the keyboard. If you have no common sense any security you install is worthless. Safe surfing and using what's between your ears is the first step in preventing malware.

You have a valid point.

Rep+

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.