Microsoft Releases EMET 5.5 With Windows 10 Support

Will you add EMET 5.5 to your Windows 10 configuration?

• Yes

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I'm not using Windows 10

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Microsoft has announced the immediate availability of the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET), a security tool designed to bolster Windows security.

Launched in 2009, EMET is a collection of security measures packed into one single toolkit, which Microsoft has offered as an optional download through its official website.

EMET works by watching internal Windows operations for known security exploits and blocking attacks both on the OS itself and third-party applications.

EMET can be used on its own, but various security vendors also leverage its features in their own products.

EMET 5.5 adds protection from the "untrusted fonts" attack
With the release of version 5.5, Microsoft has added official support for Windows 10, which it slowly started rolling out through 5.5 beta versions last summer.

Besides official Windows 10 compatibility, the stable version of EMET 5.5 also adds broader configuration options for dealing with mitigations via GPO (Group Policy Object), better support for writing mitigations to the Windows registry, and performance improvements to EAF/EAF+ pseudo-mitigation techniques.

Additionally, Microsoft also added support for mitigating the well-known "untrusted fonts" attack, often leveraged in Web-based attacks to compromise computers and install malware.

Read more: Microsoft Releases EMET 5.5 With Windows 10 Support

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
according to those article :
Windows 10 already integrated some parts of EMET
It may be strange that Microsoft didn't hurry to add Windows 10 support to EMET all this time, but the company has an explanation.

"With Windows 10 we have implemented many features and mitigations that can make EMET unnecessary on devices running Windows 10," the EMET team explained. "EMET is most useful to help protect down-level systems, legacy applications, and to provide Control Flow Guard (CFG) protection for 3rd party software that may not yet be recompiled using CFG."

So, it's required or not to add emet 5.5 for windows 10 user?

H

hjlbx

On W10, HitmanPro.Alert is better. However, then you are comparing paid product versus freeware (EMET 5.5).

Every time Flash updates, have to manually apply the EMET protections to Flash again. No biggie... just annoyance.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well likely the purpose I can see for EMET to have is customization your programs to run under of hardening techniques which will execute automatically when you configure.

Other than that, Windows 10 implication to have EMET is sufficient already.

D

Deleted member 178

If i didn't have HMPA or MBAE, i would use EMET right away.

SecretKeeper

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2015
I loved it, 'till I opened Garry's Mod and the fonts weren't loading.. Changing my vote to No. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.