App Review Microsoft System Sweeper by Matt

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

bogdan

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2011
Matt from remove-malware tested out System Sweeper, the bootable recovery tool from Microsoft, on an infected virtual machine. The tool did a good job and managed to bring back the machine to a bootable state.

Link: here.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Vextor

I watched this video and it totally removed most of the malware as it allowed to machine to boot back up into a state where anti-virus programs and Malwarebytes would be allowed to run normally.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Like Matt said: Malware often leaves the OS broken, so if Microsoft would extend this product to do basic repairs like, rewrite the MBR, reset the network settings, etc. then this would be golden! :)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
iPanik said:
If Microsoft would extend this product to do basic repairs like, rewrite the MBR, reset the network settings, etc. then this would be golden! :)

:yeahthat:

Would be handy, This is still in work so Microsoft could still improve and hopefully do something like this.

bogdan

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2011
I don't know if they'll ever add this. They probably consider that you'll never be sure that everything was fixed so now that you've regained control over your system you should backup your data and prepare to re-install Windows. I don't know if their bootable tool includes a file manager and an easy way to edit your network settings (if you do not use DHCP).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.