Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft takes down malicious extension from the Edge Add-ons Store:
Back in December, Microsoft Edge Addon Store went live for the public with around 160 extensions. Since then, the number has grown and in March, it passed 1,000 extensions. However, not all the extensions were created in good faith.

Back in April, developer of the popular dark mode extension published a blog post cautioning users about the malicious extensions published on the Edge Add-on Store with the same name. The developer reached out to Microsoft has shared information regarding the malicious extensions and how to quickly analyse the code and remove extensions. It looks like the company followed through, as last night the developer confirmed the removal of various extensions from the Add-on Store.

The developer also confirmed that similar attacks happened on Chrome and Firefox as well. However, both Mozilla and Microsoft removed the malicious extensions but it’s worth checking if you’re using the right extension. Microsoft recently added user ratings and reviews to the Edge Add-on Store so it’s a good idea to check those before downloading and installing a new extension.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Microsoft recently added user ratings and reviews to the Edge Add-on Store so it’s a good idea to check those before downloading and installing a new extension.
Not the best advice. Relying on reviews might work for extensions that display ads or redirect users to other sites, but a lot of malicious extensions function as advertised on the store page and perform their malicious activity in the background. No regular user is going to be able to identify it conducting click fraud or siphoning the data they enter into form fields.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
A simple strategy, among others, is to keep installed extensions to a minimum.
Good but difficult to follow advice (y)

Now I have six extensions installed could go by two, only an adblocker and a password manager, but I don't want that... love them all :D

Aantekening 2020-05-16 191603.png

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Good but difficult to follow advice (y)

Now I have six extensions installed could go by two, only an adblocker and a password manager, but I don't want that... love them all :D
Not so hard as you believe.
I only use AdGuard & uMatrix

Also you can remove the Cookie addon as AdGuard provide filterlists for cookie banner if you realy want break websites ;)
Certificate Info doesn't increase your security. If you want check sites, you can easy use sites like SSLLabs.com
I also don't think that you need TrafficLight ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Not so hard as you believe.
I only use AdGuard & uMatrix

Also you can remove the Cookie addon as AdGuard provide filterlists for cookie banner if you realy want break websites ;)
Certificate Info doesn't increase your security. If you want check sites, you can easy use sites like SSLLabs.com
I also don't think that you need TrafficLight ;)
Of course, you are right, I will try to survive the upcoming week with just three extensions: uBlock Origin, LastPass: and Microsoft Editor.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Why if you already using the (better) AdGuard?

Or did you mean:
"Of course, you are right, I will try to survive the upcoming week with just three extensions: AdGuard, LastPass: and Microsoft Editor."
Then that sounds good (y)
I'm not sure which one is better... why do you prefer AdGuard?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I use uBlock Origin in chromium Edge, it's by Mr. Gorhill. I got it from the Chrome Web Store. Legacy Edge, now that one I don't really care about and would rather use AdGuard there myself.

Here is a listing of most of the popular filter lists and what extension/s they can be added to. AdGuard or uBlock O or Nano or some others, it's mostly in there.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Why if you already using the (better) AdGuard?
Better UI, anti tracking (URL ID e.g.) features, more maintainer power
I think it's not fair to say one is better than the other. They are different in some ways and some things like UI is subjective. Personally I like uBlock Origin's UI more than Adguard. The advanced mode in uBlock Origin is very helpful and can show you what site has been blocked instantly without reloading the page and opening logs unlike Adguard, possible to upgrade one specific filter instead of all, can clear cache also. uBO by default disables network prefetching, hyperlink auditing, can sync extension settings to the browser sync, can be used to block scripts, frames, third party fonts, media over a certain size, better element picker, less resource usage, unlock cname to block ad/tracker domains (Firefox only) and also arguable faster and doesn't slow down even when loads of filters are imported. Its third party script blocking ability also made me ditch uMatrix which I used for almost two years. One the other hand Adguard has extra features like Stealth mode for stripping some tracking parameters, referrer hiding, delete first and third party cookies, decent phishing and malware protection. Btw, Adgaurd's Phishing and malware protection is not the same as Google safe browsing which many of you may think. They use that API but their data is different. It's most of the time better than safe browsing but I've seen it missing a lot that safe browsing blocks.
Anyway, my point is it's not just plain and easy to say that one is better the other. Both are great and has its unique useful features. A user can use any of the two depending on his/her requirements.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.