Microsoft to block crapware downloads in its Edge browser

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012

Microsoft is planning to block potentially unwanted apps from being downloaded through its Edge browser. Known as crapware or adware, these apps aren’t necessarily malware but could be toolbars, stuffed with annoying ads or notifications, or bundle crypto miners. Edge already uses a SmartScreen Filter to protect against phishing and malware, but this feature also optionally blocks downloads that contain this potentially unwanted code.

The new feature is appearing in beta builds of Microsoft Edge, which suggests it will roll out to the stable channel soon. Microsoft isn’t enabling this feature by default, though. You’ll need to enable it from the privacy and services part of Edge settings.

iR3Pzsn.png

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
This is good news. But I guess a lot of people will still use other browsers, because they think that browsers published by Microsoft are bad.
Well, I still prefer Chrome over Edge... Don't know why MS has not bothered to add the quick glance option on tabs when you hover cursor on them... Its so useful to have and for that feature alone I'll stay on Chrome. Even Brave copied this from Chrome ages ago. Besides, you can use SmartScreen filter on Chrome as well with WD browser protection extension.

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
Well, I still prefer Chrome over Edge... Don't know why MS has not bothered to add the quick glance option on tabs when you hover cursor on them... Its so useful to have and for that feature alone I'll stay on Chrome. Even Brave copied this from Chrome ages ago. Besides, you can use SmartScreen filter on Chrome as well with WD browser protection extension.
Can be enabled through flags.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
I was excited till i read this...... "Microsoft isn’t enabling this feature by default, though. You’ll need to enable it from the privacy and services part of Edge settings." Then my brain took a big big fart..... Why would Microsoft not want to manually enable it and protect it's users at all costs? what grandma is going to go through an applications settings?

Reactions: Protomartyr

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
I was excited till i read this...... "Microsoft isn’t enabling this feature by default, though. You’ll need to enable it from the privacy and services part of Edge settings." Then my brain took a big big fart..... Why would Microsoft not want to manually enable it and protect it's users at all costs? what grandma is going to go through an applications settings?
Maybe coz they are testing it right now with beta, dev and canary builds to get the feedback?

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
RKRN one would hope so..... but if they are going on based off windows defender by leaving the detection of PUPs off by default. I don’t see them doing it on edge either. That’s just my opinion I really don’t think they will enable it by default and if they do I’ll be shocked... PUP in my eyes are just as bad as malicious programs especially these days.

Reactions: Protomartyr

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
RKRN one would hope so..... but if they are going on based off windows defender by leaving the detection of PUPs off by default. I don’t see them doing it on edge either. That’s just my opinion I really don’t think they will enable it by default and if they do I’ll be shocked... PUP in my eyes are just as bad as malicious programs especially these days.
We have to give them the feedback then. Moreover, this as enabled by default is a win-win for everyone.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
a champ of the past. The glory of the past should
We have to give them the feedback then. Moreover, this as enabled by default is a win-win for everyone.
I will do my part in suggesting it like i have been for years with windows defender..... it's like beating a dead horse but. im grateful for tools like configure defender that make it easy to do!

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
I will do my part in suggesting it like i have been for years with windows defender..... it's like beating a dead horse but. im grateful for tools like configure defender that make it easy to do!
I have this feeling that the Edge Team indeed listens to the user feedbacks.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Because the companies that make those "crapware" would threaten to sue Microsoft and complain how Microsoft is abusing its power as an OS maker in putting up a browser that affects their revenue.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hi, I thought it was just from adguard windows desktop app? same applies for the extension? if you can link me no prob, i would like to be enlightened. Thanks.
Browser extensions (as well as AdGuard for Android and AdGuard for Mac) work differently, using the so called Lookup API to do the check of pages that you visit. Every time you visit any website, local client exchanges information with our backend server in a form of hashes and hash prefixes. For those who are interested in the process on a deeper level, the link above will be helpful. As a result of that exchange, local client determines if the website is from blacklist or not.

It is very important to notice that we never get any information that could allow us to determine which website you visit and use that data in any way.
Approximate algorithm of the Browsing Security module functioning is shown in the picture below.

Functioning algorithm of Browsing Security module in AdGuard browser extensions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.