Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
A chain of vulnerabilities in MikroTik routers could allow an attacker to gain a backdoor. The chain starts with DNS poisoning, goes on to downgrading the installed version of MikroTik's RouterOS software, and ends with enabling a backdoor.

Tenable researchers found the vulnerabilities and disclosed two to MikroTik on September 11, 2019 (CVE-2019-3976 and CVE-2019-3977) and two more on September 13, 2019 (CVE-2019-3978 and CVE-2019-3979). It said, "By chaining these vulnerabilities, an unauthenticated remote attacker with access to port 8291 on the router, can perform a RouterOS downgrade, reset the system passwords, and potentially gain a root shell." MikroTik released patches on October 28, 2019.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
This is not the first serious security issue that is discovered in Mikrotik products and services. I purchased a Mikrotik cloud some some years back to handle my VPNs but after some other security issues last year I switched to pfSense.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Thanks, I just upgraded my hAP ac2. I don't have any open port from outside so that should minimize the attack surface to an infiltrated into my main VLAN (I originally bought this thing to separate devices into different VLANs and bandwidth management).

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Also TP-Link Routers which aren't cheap have most infrequent firmware updates & are as trustworthy as an ex girlfriend I had - Most people often without realising use lots of IOT devices & common routers are virtually useless in protecting your network.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Also TP-Link Routers which aren't cheap have most infrequent firmware updates & are as trustworthy as an ex girlfriend I had - Most people often without realising use lots of IOT devices & common routers are virtually useless in protecting your network.
Mikrotik SOHO routers are on the same price range as a TP-LINK AC Gigabit router. $70 for a hAP ac2 vs $60 for the Archer A7. Also Mikrotik has advanced features and usually better hardware (quad core ARM on the ac2 vs single core MIPS on the A7) plus the advantage of getting security and feature updates regularly.

Reactions: Cortex

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.