Troubleshoot Mint 21.1 not recognizing keyboard?

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
My linux skills are rusty. Just installed Mint Cinnamon 21.1 on workstation 16.2.5 as Guest OS. Runs great except for 2 minor annoyances. I have Corsair K70 keyboard with number pad on the right. Mint does not see the keypad. I punch a lot of numbers. Did a driver search and Mint reported all good. And not having any luck using yubikey. In past when I inserted a USB device, I'd get a popup saying do you want use USB in Host or Guest. The popup if I do get one, is not giving me any option to allow the yubi to the Guest. I have not asked on the linuxmint forum yet, trying here first.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Try reinstall it
:ROFLMAO: I'm sure that's the best advice, but I'll put up with "missing" keypad for a while. I have this 50/50 feeling I'll do a reinstall and the keypad will still be missing in action. Overall the first installation went smoothly, and I don't recall being given a selection about keyboard, although I do recall from distant past that is type of config question you'd see during install. It just occurred to me to send an email to Corsair support too

Reactions: piquiteco
Upvote 0

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
:ROFLMAO: I'm sure that's the best advice, but I'll put up with "missing" keypad for a while. I have this 50/50 feeling I'll do a reinstall and the keypad will still be missing in action. Overall the first installation went smoothly, and I don't recall being given a selection about keyboard, although I do recall from distant past that is type of config question you'd see during install. It just occurred to me to send an email to Corsair support too
Since you are using linux more than I am, which distribution do you recommend? one that is more user friendly and I am wanting to install on a machine I have at home. I like challenges. I don't want to be stuck with just windows. Oh, and before I forget, how is Linux Mint version 21? Thanks a lot!

Reactions: simmerskool
Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Since you are using linux more than I am, which distribution do you recommend? one that is more user friendly and I am wanting to install on a machine I have at home. I like challenges. I don't want to be stuck with just windows. Oh, and before I forget, how is Linux Mint version 21? Thanks a lot!
My opinion re linux distro is < 0. A neighbor friend was a true linux expert & IT certified (making big bucks) he suggested Centos and he'd help when I got stuck, but that was ages ago. He liked Centos because it was free Red Hat IIRC. Currently I was aware of Mint, and I look at https://distrowatch.com and other links to see what's popular. I'm finding linux as a VM Guest OS seems a tad better (ie faster) than Windows at least for being online. There's a lighter version of Mint. I may delete this Cinnamon version and install a lighter version reference the keyboard fix.

• Thanks
Reactions: piquiteco
Upvote 0

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
My opinion re linux distro is < 0. A neighbor friend was a true linux expert & IT certified (making big bucks) he suggested Centos and he'd help when I got stuck, but that was ages ago. He liked Centos because it was free Red Hat IIRC. Currently I was aware of Mint, and I look at https://distrowatch.com and other links to see what's popular. I'm finding linux as a VM Guest OS seems a tad better (ie faster) than Windows at least for being online. There's a lighter version of Mint. I may delete this Cinnamon version and install a lighter version reference the keyboard fix.
Thank you very much! for the suggestion. I had seen this somewhere before, I just can't remember where. I believe that the safest way to surf the web, is using a VM with linux. (y)

It could just be a VMware issue, try live USB booting,
Live CD?

Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
initial research found that yubikeys are problematic with VMware but that's as far as I got so far. At least I know it's not just me 😑

Upvote 0

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Nah it happens to me when you install it for the first time on VM its issues sometimes..

Edit: check VM configuration

Reactions: simmerskool
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.