Dec 23, 2014
Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
So, the update KB4465663 is installed on some machines via Windows Update, but not on all machines. Those who have not got it installed can sometimes install KB4467682 without problems, and some not. If not, then the user has to install KB4465663 manually.

Yes. I'm on 1803 and have KB4467682 and only had a small hiccup - Windows aborted the first attempt and I tried again without issues.

Thread author
So, the update KB4465663 is installed on some machines via Windows Update, but not on all machines. Those who have not got it installed can sometimes install KB4467682 without problems, and sometimes not. If not, then the user has to install KB4465663 manually.

That's not how Microsoft states it is supposed to work. Obviously there is a serious problem. Just a continuation of Windows 10 garbage.

Problems are part and parcel to IT. However, after problems reach a certain level then it becomes ineptitude, incompetence and\or negligence. And given Microsoft's track record, not even fanbois can deny that there is a whole lot of all three going on.

It would be different if we were talking about some relatively small publisher, but this is Microsoft. And what and how Microsoft does things - namely screws-up and causes problems - literally costs people and corporations many millions of dollars per day. It might not be a huge cost to each party, but the aggregate total is a very high cost to society.

Microsoft isn't the only one. There's Google, CISCO, Oracle, etc. None of them are perfect, but Microsoft takes the cake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I have just installed this update on one desktop machine (Windows 10 Pro) and minicomputer (Windows 10 Home). Both were installed normally. I checked the history - no installed KB4465663. So, that update was not delivered via Windows Updates, contrary to what M$ claims. The documentation is inaccurate, as you said.
I tried to update my laptop, but the update KB4467682 is not available yet.
The last machine is on Windows 10 ver. 1809 (update is for ver. 1803).
Can you check in control panel?
Control panel > programs > program and features > installed updates

There should be one listed as “Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4465663)”.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I looked at the KB4465663 issue more closely, and found that this update is installed, even when it is not visible on the update history list. Just use the below command in PowerShell:
wmic qfe list
In my case the update KB4465663 was installed 14.11.2018. It is visible on the update history list as kb4467702. And it is funny, the kb4467702 is not visible on the list made via 'wmic qfe list' command.(n):notworthy:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Oh Microsoft!

@Azure Phoenix and @Andy Ful - Yes. I have KB4466553 in Porgrams/Installed Updates but not in in Settings/Updates.....

MS requires one to have magical powers and know various incantations to unlock the hidden doors to so many things - in so many different places!

Some of you advanced users have such powers! I am :notworthy:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Oh Microsoft!

@Azure Phoenix and @Andy Ful - Yes. I have KB4466553 in Porgrams/Installed Updates but not in in Settings/Updates.....

MS requires one to have magical powers and know various incantations to unlock the hidden doors to so many things - in so many different places!

Some of you advanced users have such powers! I am :notworthy:
Simply do not believe what is said. If something looks suspicious, then it is good to investigate it.(y):giggle:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I checked this issue on Windows 10 ver. 1809. I noticed another difference related to kb4464330 (LCU). M$ recommend to install first the KB4465477 (SSU). Both were installed together. But, on the update history list only the LCU is visible. Yet, on the list made via: PowerShell 'wmic qfe list' or 'get-hotfix', or via Control panel > programs > program and features > installed updates, only the SSU update is visible.
So, there is a bug related to LCU & SSU update history.

Last edited:

Thread author
I check this issue on Windows 10 ver. 1809. I noticed another difference related to kb4464330 (LCU). M$ recommend to install first the KB4465477 (SSU). Both were installed together. But, on the update history list only the LCU is visible. Yet, on the list made via: PowerShell 'wmic qfe list' or 'get-hotfix', or via Control panel > programs > program and features > installed updates, only the SSU update is visible.
So, there is a bug related to LCU & SSU update history.

Last year or the year before there was a bug in Windows Update that was permitting the Malicious Removal Tool and other certain updates from Windows Insider Program to be installed on systems that were not enrolled in the Windows Insider Program. @XhenEd was the first one to discover it because AppGuard was correctly blocking the updates.

Thread author
I do, but I do not have problems with updates. I do not use 3rd party real-time security to avoid problems with Windows Updates, and other stability & compatibility issues. But, If the user has such problems, then there is a little or no advantage of using WD.

If Windows cannot provide a platform of compatibility with 3rd party software (by not causing breakages and other problems involving Windows Updates), then it isn't a very good platform. Microsoft made it that way, so it needs to do a much better job if there are compatibility issues. In my observations, the 3rd parties do a good job, but it is Microsoft that is constantly changing things unilaterally that causes all the breakages. The problem is not the 3rd party software vendors, but Microsoft itself.

As it is... Windows security suxx because a person that puts in the time and effort to tweak their system has to re-tweak it after every Windows update\upgrade. Microsoft says it resets security settings because those settings are not compatible with its own updates ! In no uncertain terms... Windows security and Windows Updates are not compatible ! Good grief man, give us a break.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
As it is... Windows security suxx because a person that puts in the time and effort to tweak their system has to re-tweak it after every Windows update\upgrade.
That can be only partially true. It is not true for the setup based on Windows built-in SRP, and policies. I upgraded several times my real systems and testing systems (from Windows 8 up to Windows 10 ver. 1809). Windows always kept my security settings from the previous version.
I also noticed, that after upgrading to Windows 10 ver. 1809, all my Windows settings, including uninstalled applications from Microsoft Store, remained untouched.
More problems are with 3rd party applications - that can be very unpleasant. The main responsibility for the constant problems with 3rd party software after updates/upgrades is obviously on the M$ side, because it is the cause of the changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.