Most Android devices run an outdated OS version

L

LabZero

Thread author
More than 80 percent of Android devices are running an outdated version of the operating system. Those are the results of an inquiry among users of G DATA security solutions for Android.

G DATA believes the lag in the adoption of new versions lies in the long delays before manufacturers roll out updates to their devices, as well as the fact that some devices simply don’t support the latest version of Android.

The full report can be found on this link (PDF). It was done during the third quarter of 2015 and does not include Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Android Jelly Bean (4.1 - 4.3) is still the most popular version of Google’s operating system, with the market share of 36.93 percent. KitKat came in second, with 20.29 percent, while Ice Cream Sandwich has a 10.66 per cent market share.

By the end of the third quarter of 2015, G DATA analysts had already counted more Android malware instances (1,575,644) than in the whole of 2014 (1,548,129). 574,706 different Android malware strains were found in the third quarter alone. This represents an increase of 50 percent compared to the same period last year.

The report also says hackers are targeting Android on the IoT, as well as there are more smartphones with pre-installed malware.

G DATA security experts expect to see an increase in complex malware that combines Windows and Android attack campaigns on online banking customers. The criminals’ aim is to manipulate banking transactions on the Internet.

Published under license from ITProPortal.com, a Net Communities Ltd Publication. All rights reserved.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
G DATA believes the lag in the adoption of new versions lies in the long delays before manufacturers roll out updates to their devices, as well as the fact that some devices simply don’t support the latest version of Android.
Very true and until this changes, don't expect anything like adoption rates similar to Apple's iOS.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
This is one reason instead of replying on Manufacturer's Stock Android I installed Cyanogen OS.

Unless you have a Nexus or Android device it's very hard to get update for old phones. The layer in between Andorid device and Google is the manufacturers and they know how to release 1000 device per month but do not care to provide update for them.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Working as intended. Manufacturers do this on purpose, in order to sell more mid and low budget devices, with hardly any updated hardware in comparison but with a more up to date version of Android.

only the high end devices get updated OS.

Core example: Samsung Galaxy S3 and then the "reboot" of same device but with half a gig more ram and sporting KitKat 4.4 instead of Jelly Bean 4.3.

core reason I moved to a Windows Phone and never been more happier. Not to mention 2 days battery life while my androids wouldnt last 1 day? I take that any day!

Reactions: XhenEd

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Sadly, average android users are "happy customers" who doesn't aware patch/OS update importance and jelly bean=heartbleed bug.

Kiwimike

Level 1
Verified
Dec 15, 2015
I think this has been known for a while now, and its a big issue. I think its caused by the massive ammount of devices in the market, the manufacterers just can't keep up.

In my mind there are only a few ways to solve this:
1. Manufacterers just start updating the devices more.
2. Every manufacturer MUST use stock Android but can have custom apps, but must use stock android. This allows Google updates to be released to all devices.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I wish my phone have the lastest update too but Xiaomi's MIUI is pretty slow.
Guess there's always a price to pay.
(My phone; mi4i is cheap but at a cost, I guess that's the cost I'm gonna pay)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.