Troubleshoot Mouse that's a LOT easier on the index finger--any out there?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Not a software issue
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
As mentioned here, wearing a cotton sleeve over my index finger
I have to wear a cotton sleeve on my index finger these days when navigating my desktop. Otherwise it gets very sore. So I wonder, are there ergonomic mouses that would address this problem?

I prefer wired over wireless if possible.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
There are vertical mouse, they are said to be better, though I don't have any user info. But the way they are designed it seems they are much better than the ordinary mouse. But you need to check them out personally as they come in various shapes. Choosing a wrong one can be more painful in the long term.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I sometimes use vertical mouse Delux M618. Wired. It's relatively inexpensive, not very configurable, but it's a totally different feel. I like it. Whatever hurts you on a regular mouse, probably won't hurt you on a vertical mouse, and vice versa. It's just different.

Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
@conceptualclarity have you been to a Doctor? If not you probably should because it's not sure any of the mouses kindly recommended here actually is right for you personal. Can guess you wouldn't be too happy spent money on something that don't work or in the end is plain wrong. Also you shouldn't wait with an appointment IMO.

That said I really enjoy watching a mouse advice thread in general as it's a bit uncommon.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
This may be a problem with your wrist position and not with your finger or the mouse itself.

I recommend you check out the Belkin Gel Wrist Pad. I love these things. I used to have lots of problems with sore wrists, sore hands and sore fingers - until I got one of these. Now I have one by all my computers. The only downside is on some desk surfaces, they slide. But that is easily remedied with a little double sided tape.

As seen via that link, they have a similar product for the keyboard. If your keyboard does not have a similar wrist rest, you might consider that too.

Even things like your chair height can affect the angle your wrists approach the keyboard and mouse. If not straight on, it can affect blood circulation and over time, increase strain and result is serious RSI issues.

Last, you might try simply moving your mouse to the other side of your keyboard and start using your other hand. It will feel awkward at first but you will be surprised how quickly you will adapt. I am right handed but use my mouse with my left hand. I did that when carpel tunnel started giving me problems (years ago, before I discovered those pads). So I moved my mouse to the other side.

I actually discovered it made my computer work easier because I could do my mouse work with my left hand and use the numeric keypad part of my keyboard with the right.

But within a year, I started having carpel symptoms with my left hand too. A coworker suggested those pads and they worked. By that time, I was too used to using the mouse with my left so I have kept it on that side. That was over 10 years ago. No hand, wrist or finger pain since.

BTW, while hard to find, they have left-handed mice, where the the button functions are reversed. But instructions and tutorials always are written for the right handed and you would have to remember right click really means left click. Not worth it for me.

Universal (not contoured) mice are best IMO. Typical contoured mice are shaped [supposedly] for the right hand and may not feel right in the left. A "curved" keyboard like this "Microsoft Comfort 5050 Keyboard and Mouse" set allows your arms to approach the keyboard naturally from the sides where your shoulders are. A standard straight keyboard (including those on notebooks) force you to scrunch your wrists together which again can affect proper positioning.

That said, mice and keyboards are HIDs (human interface devices) that are extensions of our own hands. Therefore they are as individual as our own hands. What feels great to me may feel uncomfortable or even painful to you. So while others (including me) can offer suggestions for mice (and keyboards) these are things you really need to pick out for yourself. You need to visit your local computer stores and play touchy-feely with the display models. Try to position them at the same height as your desk and see/feel what feels good to you - just take some hand sanitizer with you! :eek:

And upnorth is right - this could be a medical issue that requires attention. You clearly need to make some changes, either with wrist support pads and/or a new mouse (and maybe keyboard) too. If those changes do not bring relief, you should see a doctor before permanent nerve damage occurs - assuming it has not already. :(

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
This may be a problem with your wrist position and not with your finger or the mouse itself.

I recommend you check out the Belkin Gel Wrist Pad. I love these things. I used to have lots of problems with sore wrists, sore hands and sore fingers - until I got one of these. Now I have one by all my computers. The only downside is on some desk surfaces, they slide. But that is easily remedied with a little double sided tape.

As seen via that link, they have a similar product for the keyboard. If your keyboard does not have a similar wrist rest, you might consider that too.

Even things like your chair height can affect the angle your wrists approach the keyboard and mouse. If not straight on, it can affect blood circulation and over time, increase strain and result is serious RSI issues.

Last, you might try simply moving your mouse to the other side of your keyboard and start using your other hand. It will feel awkward at first but you will be surprised how quickly you will adapt. I am right handed but use my mouse with my left hand. I did that when carpel tunnel started giving me problems (years ago, before I discovered those pads). So I moved my mouse to the other side.

I actually discovered it made my computer work easier because I could do my mouse work with my left hand and use the numeric keypad part of my keyboard with the right.

But within a year, I started having carpel symptoms with my left hand too. A coworker suggested those pads and they worked. By that time, I was too used to using the mouse with my left so I have kept it on that side. That was over 10 years ago. No hand, wrist or finger pain since.

BTW, while hard to find, they have left-handed mice, where the the button functions are reversed. But instructions and tutorials always are written for the right handed and you would have to remember right click really means left click. Not worth it for me.

Universal (not contoured) mice are best IMO. Typical contoured mice are shaped [supposedly] for the right hand and may not feel right in the left. A "curved" keyboard like this "Microsoft Comfort 5050 Keyboard and Mouse" set allows your arms to approach the keyboard naturally from the sides where your shoulders are. A standard straight keyboard (including those on notebooks) force you to scrunch your wrists together which again can affect proper positioning.

That said, mice and keyboards are HIDs (human interface devices) that are extensions of our own hands. Therefore they are as individual as our own hands. What feels great to me may feel uncomfortable or even painful to you. So while others (including me) can offer suggestions for mice (and keyboards) these are things you really need to pick out for yourself. You need to visit your local computer stores and play touchy-feely with the display models. Try to position them at the same height as your desk and see/feel what feels good to you - just take some hand sanitizer with you! :eek:

And upnorth is right - this could be a medical issue that requires attention. You clearly need to make some changes, either with wrist support pads and/or a new mouse (and maybe keyboard) too. If those changes do not bring relief, you should see a doctor before permanent nerve damage occurs - assuming it has not already. :(
I switch hands, too, but because of neck/shoulder pains. It also helps to use one of those mouse stands that puts the mouse lower than the table. The worst thing is raising your arm to reach the mouse on the table. At least for me, it's the worst.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Con's:
  • Not the cheapest (RRP 49.99 USD/GBP)
  • Not the best mouse for everyone
  • Learning curve - how you use it**
Pro's:
  • Comfortable
  • Easy to use
  • Win Key button
  • Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android
Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse | Microsoft Accessories
Claims to:
"Shaped to encourage a more natural hand, wrist, and forearm posture, Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse helps prevent the pain of repetitive stress injuries."

**Learning curve details
1532096233891.png
Image: Source

@roger_m What brand touchpad do you have; material and finish?

Other links:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4101085/accessories-setting-up-your-desktop

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Con's:
  • Not the cheapest (RRP 49.99 USD/GBP)
  • Not the best mouse for everyone
  • Learning curve - how you use it**
Pro's:
  • Comfortable
  • Easy to use
  • Win Key button
  • Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android
Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse | Microsoft Accessories
Claims to:
"Shaped to encourage a more natural hand, wrist, and forearm posture, Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse helps prevent the pain of repetitive stress injuries."

**Learning curve details
View attachment 192967
Image: Source

@roger_m What brand touchpad do you have; material and finish?

Other links:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4101085/accessories-setting-up-your-desktop
Interesting. I looked at the pic, and it is really the same basic idea as the vertical mouse. It gets your wrist in a vertical position.

Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
The worst thing is raising your arm to reach the mouse on the table. At least for me, it's the worst.
My desk has a keyboard tray that slides under the desk. It positions the keyboard and mouse about 3 1/2 inches below the surface level of my desktop. Also, my chair has height adjustment as do my monitors. So I can position everything so it feels right (at least for me).

As for that Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse, notice how it is contoured and made for the right hand, not left. If you want to switch hands, or are left handed, it may not be right for you.

Upvote 0

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I am two handed with a preference for right (can write with left hand also), so using a vertical mouse left and normal mouse right, or trackbal left with normal mouse right or vertical mouse left and trackbal on the right on my desktop (which I use for (home)work. My wife is right handed, but also learned to use a trackbal with her left hand. She changes using trackbal left on work and mouse at home with right hand, to keep RSI-out

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.