Battle MSE 2 or AVG Free 2012 or Avira Free 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
for FREE version:
better at the moment is Avira (Detection)
MSE slow for removal threats and not good for prevention and detection also.
and, AVG huge ram usage + a Lot process, slow removal threats and, detection rate ,i think standard also.
in my point: avira for detection.

**off topic:
and Avast (Prevention + standard for detection)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well still Avira Free as were on their stable track giving pure protection from signatures, generic and heuristics.

Nikomanuel1

Jul 10, 2011
between that free avs, i prefer AVG..

Because have better offline protection, (by the identity protection module) is light in system resources and have very good detection, the only problem is the web filter (is sh!" :D) then avira have a very good web protection but lacks zero day protection. i Dont like MSE....If I use a free antivirus..prefer avast!...between the three options..avg or avira.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I would have to say Avira, just because of the experience that I have had with MSE and AVG and I also think that Avira has a better detection rate then the others. Also it comes down to personal preference, on which one you would like to use.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft Security Essentials
- Realtime Protection: Yes
- Web Protection: No
- Toolbar: No
- Sandbox: No
- Behaviour: Yes
- Cloud technology: Yes

AVG Antivirus Free Edition 2012
- Web Protection: Yes (LinkScanner module)
- Toolbar: Yes (bundled to Toolbar) and No (see here)
- Behaviour: Yes (ID Protection module)
- Cloud technology: Yes

Avira Free Antivirus 2012
- Web Protection: Yes (bundled to (Ask.com) Toolbar)
- Toolbar: Yes
- Behaviour: No
- Cloud technology: No

Both AVG and Avira have Ads that either pop-up or show in a separate window.

MSE (3) uses the least amount of processes, followed by Avira (4), then AVG (up to 9).

Even though Avira and AVG runs the most processes, some of them use less than 1,000 K (according to Task Manager).

I believe everything I wrote, feature-wise is correct. :)

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
- Web Protection: Yes (bundled to (Ask.com) Toolbar)

you can disable it, forever.
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2011/07/11/disable-avira-searchfree-ask-com-toolbar-popup-nag-alert/

You will see that the WebGuard is active on your Avira AntiVir Personal – Free Antivirus WITHOUT the unnecessary SearchFree/Ask Toolbar.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
As much as Avira has been in the spotlight for a lot of "wrong" reasons lately, it's hard to deny them the advantage they hold over AVG and MSE. It seems that Avira has managed to get redemption with 2012 release after a period of self-inflicted neglect. Detection wise they are still very good, not to mention the overall speed and minimal impact on performance.

As popular and capable as the other two are, they are slower and have inferior detection capabilities, compared to Avira, which to me easily crosses the line in first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.