with Win xp Home Sp3
Sometimes a Linux Distro

i have Acronis TI also but not installed at this time

:)

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
What about add-ons for Firefox?
Here are my recommendations: Bitdefender TrafficLight, Adblock Plus, and WOT.

Other than that nice Config.

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
hank you Malware Maniac

Webroot gives me ratings in Ie 8 when i search so Wot would not help much for Ie but
mabe in Firefox

i'v tryed Bitdefender TrafficLight before and it seems to slowdown Ie 8 for me and
it's also bata i try not to use bata software on this pc (i have 4 all Win Xp) i wish
i could aford Win 7 lol

i read on the Bitdefender forum that a new version of TrafficLight is to be out soon
mabe i will try again

Adblock Plus i have used before in firefox but i use Ie 8 the most i'v read about AdFender
so i tryed it on my Virtualbox Win Xp and it seems ok and works with other browsers also
http://www.adfender.com/index.html

thanks so very much again

James

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Hi James,
Very Good choice of security software.My only advice is to upgrade OS from xp to 7 or 8

P

Plexx

Another user of WSA. Good to see more and more users using WSA.

At OP: you do know that WSA is still a work in progress when it comes to detection rate correct?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Operating System: I highly Recommend upgrading to Windows 7 as XP support ends very soon.

Real-time protection: Nice, WSA is good but need some improvements in detection. I never tried Mamutu but I hear it a good product.
Your sandboxing is great.

On-demand scanners: Great OD scanners, You can add Emsisoft Emergency Kit if you like.

Web Browser:
IE8 - Not good. If you choose to upgrade to Windows 7 you can upgrade IE to IE9.
Firefox - Great!

Addons: I skimmed through your other post and saw you mention about WOT, BTL, and ABP. I can't think of anything else to recommend.

Backup: Make sure you setup that ATI soon

Utility: Ccleaner, Advanced System Care Free, and Aus Disk Defrag is a must! Highly recommend these three products.

Bootable Disks: It would be helpful to create some Rescue Disk's on blank CD's or Flash Drive if all things go worse and can't remove an infection.
(Splash Screens, rootkits, etc)

I highly Recommend these:
Kaspersky Rescue Disk
Comodo Rescue Disk
Avira Rescue Disk

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
hello

@Biozfear yes i know and a new version with a lot of updates is to be out soon and thay have
very good support

@3link9 yes Xp support ends soon and i wish i had the money to upgrade to Win 7 but thats another
story lol

and yes i use Ccleaner and Puran Defrag (i also have Diskeeper Pro 2009 but not installed)
i do my own maintenance so i don't need Advanced System Care Free but i have tryed it and
others

this pc is a Acer (i have 4 all Win Xp of some sort but one has Ubuntu on it)

ATI changed my MBR on this Acer pc so i could not use my eRecovery to restore it back to factory
settings i did not know at the time but when i uninstall ATI it replaced the MBR to the stock Win
Xp MBR and could not use eRecovery to restore but i made the restore cd's when it was new so i can
still restore with them

now i'm not sure if i want to use ATI or other Image software on a pc that has a restore partition
in fear it will change the MBR and not be able to use the restore partition (PQService)

i also understand the need for Rescue Disk's but thay come out every week to a few weeks so i would
just burn them when i needed from another pc of mine

i also forgot to say i'm behind a firewalled Router

Thanks so very much everybody

James

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.