McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Valentin N said:
Servers mustly depend on passiv cooling but some have some very small fan(40mm or smaller) to make some airflow.

Yes correct. There is about, 10 fans in it.

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
McLovin said:
Valentin N said:
Servers mustly depend on passiv cooling but some have some very small fan(40mm or smaller) to make some airflow.

Yes correct. There is about, 10 fans in it.
Do you put your pc in room that equipped with air conditioning like other server provider do? :sleepy:

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
muhammadariif said:
Do you put your pc in room that equipped with air conditioning like other server provider do? :sleepy:

I have a fairly big room and that is where I keep it. I turn it off before I go to bed tho.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
McLovin said:
muhammadariif said:

I have a fairly big room and that is where I keep it. I turn it off before I go to bed tho.

Keep in mind that servers are meant to be on 24/7 but it's good that you close it if it's in your room.

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
McLovin said:
muhammadariif said:

Okay, provide server in 24/7 will cost alot of money if the server is not profit :rolleyes:,

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
muhammadariif said:
Okay, provide server in 24/7 will cost alot of money if the server is not profit :rolleyes:,

Correct, that's why I turn it off when I go to bed.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
this setup is in no need of a temperature controlled room. Depending on the ambient temp of the room, size of the fans, and case type 1u,2u,4u, you may benefit from removing the case cover. The thing that will prob. give you the best result is removing the cpu heatsink and replacing the old thermal paste with a new coating. With the age of the server the old paste has dried out.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
pcjunklist said:
this setup is in no need of a temperature controlled room. Depending on the ambient temp of the room, size of the fans, and case type 1u,2u,4u, you may benefit from removing the case cover. The thing that will prob. give you the best result is removing the cpu heatsink and replacing the old thermal paste with a new coating. With the age of the server the old paste has dried out.

Wise advice.

When you add new thermal paste make sure, make sure to remove all of the old one with acetone (both cpu and heat sink), put a thin layer of the new thermal paste (any third part will do, zalman should have a good one) over the complete area and put the heat sink back in position.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I have not yet taken out the CPU and what not and put new heat sink in yet.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
not sure if this is available in Australia, but this is a great little kit from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-Thermal-Compound-ArctiClean/dp/B001FVI91U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325896235&sr=8-2

Make sure when you are ready to do it, run the computer for 5 to 10 minutes so the paste liquefies. If you don't you will be caught in a tug of war and this also makes it easier to clean the old paste off, qtips and cotton balls help as well.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Valentin N said:
pcjunklist said:

Wise advice.

When you add new thermal paste make sure, make sure to remove all of the old one with acetone (both cpu and heat sink), put a thin layer of the new thermal paste (any third part will do, zalman should have a good one) over the complete area and put the heat sink back in position.

Never smooth out thermal paste it just adds bubbles. Apply a small amount about the size of a small pea in the center of the chip, the heatsink when latched on will spread the paste. Same process for laptops just less paste about the size of a grain of rice. Most paste's have a breakin period as well so with normal off and on cycles within a couple of weeks it will burn-in and you will get the full so called cooling properties.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
pcjunklist said:
Valentin N said:
pcjunklist said:

Wise advice.

Never smooth out thermal paste it just adds bubbles. Apply a small amount about the size of a small pea in the center of the chip, the heatsink when latched on will spread the paste. Same process for laptops just less paste about the size of a grain of rice. Most paste's have a breakin period as well so with normal off and on cycles within a couple of weeks it will burn-in and you will get the full so called cooling properties.

I always get better results by spreading the paste out in a thin layer over the whole CPU. Also Pea size is too much you only need a very thin layer to even out any roughness in the two surfaces.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Update:

Managed to find enough RAM around the house to top it up to 6GB and it's working like a charm.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
pcjunklist said:
What OS you running? The previous pics you shared listed Win7 32bit.

I'm currently running Windows Server 2008 r2.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
pcjunklist said:
Great, have fun with it. I'm sure it's running much better with the additional ram you added.

It sure does make it faster :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.