Maintenance tools
CCleaner, System Mechanic
File and Photo backup
Cloudberry Desktop

singularity

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 10, 2015
This is my setup. No 3rd party firewall. I used to use Binisoft WFC before but switched to Sphinx. I see a lot of arguments here for KIS 2016 over WSAC. My system is powered with 32 GB ram , SSD primary drive and powerful CPU and GPU. It is Asus ROG custom enhanced.

I dont use many browser addons. Would like to here your suggestions regarding that too.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
-----
How is my setup?
Should I add anything like heimdal for ransomeware? MB Antiexploit?

To be honest, you do not need to run additional tools, unless you want to plug in any holes, and by doing so, you might sacrifice usability. Depends on how you use your system. If you are a gamer, it is basically irrelevant and your config is a bit overloaded.
If you are a casual user who doesn't often download much at all and visit safe sites and specific sites alone, your config is fine as it is.
If you however download often and sometimes venture into other sites and do not have some ad blocking etc, then plug in the holes.

Have a look at other configs. Some users use WSA. @illumination and I used to run WSA before. He opts for the plug in every hole config, just like @Umbra , while @Huracan @exterminator20 and myself go for simpler approaches.

Reactions: Sana

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
As far as I can see, you have a pretty great setup in terms of real-time protection.

You may consider a system imaging application as well.
Create a system image of a known good state/configuration of your system so that you can restore that exact state using the system image in case of a software disaster.

Also, perhaps you could try herdProtect as an additional on-demand scanner.

Other than that, you're good to go!

Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p

EDIT: As far as browser add-ons are concerned, the most you should add is SpeedyFox with configure it for the recommended preference values, since you already use Adguard on the pesky ads.

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
That is better, it looks good to me other than a full backup solution not just in the cloud. :)

I would like to suggest either Nacrium reflect or Aomei Backupper if you have a portable HDD for full backups so then you so then you can get rescued from booting by a USB. ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

i would add a imaging backup soft unless you like do clean installs.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think WSA and Voodoshield is great enough to sustain your needs, one can act as standard AV alone meanwhile other is a companion based.

Consider a backup besides on cloud for better access to your emergency plans.

You may try to use CCleaner, Iolo System Mechanic tends to be reliable on some cases however few users may experience issues on that program.

Reactions: Sana

singularity

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 10, 2015
Approved by Staff

i would add a imaging backup soft unless you like do clean installs.

Yes I prefer clean installs in situations of crash. I backup my important files. The machine has a dual HDD. One is entirely for OS and app installations. And a portable and a powered external for a local backup of important files and also cloud. That is why I never bothered about a system image or bare metal backup. Also I have a very limited number of favorite applications. So reinstalling them is not a big issue in my case. And I back up all settings and app databases , for eg bookmarks, passwords, ftp addrsses etc.

singularity

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 10, 2015
You may try to use CCleaner, Iolo System Mechanic tends to be reliable on some cases however few users may experience issues on that program.

hmmm.. ccleaner free should do? realtime monitoring is not an essential feature for a system optimizer.
As of system mechanic.. I have turned of certain real time features of it like power sense, net optimizer. So far it has not given me any issues.
Internet optimization and other "features" doesnt seem to make any notable differences for me or rather no difference. I wouldnt risk them to screw up my already stable internet.

and ccleaner seems to be more updated and current than SM?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
CCleaner Portable (By Piriform) contains no real-time processes. CCleaner Free including Slim build may run a background process, which can be disabled.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
CCleaner's realtime monitoring is optional and you may disable throughout the settings which should not cause any complications. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.