Advice Request Nano Adblocker Filters

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
Hi all.

I am wondering what filters people use with Nano or uBlock for security and/or privacy, i have not added many custom filters, only 2, but one being AAK to integrate Nano Defender.

The attached image shows that i have basically got all filters ticked within Nano, i hope this is enough? :p

Oh, also.. am i meant to add or change anything within my C: Drive hosts file or not?:unsure:

Attachments

• Nano.PNG
    Nano.PNG
    116.4 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
You forgot to check two lists in the Ads category (2/4) which are Adguard's base filters and mobile filters be sure to check those if you haven't. That's how I have mine set in uBlock Origin and I enabled advanced user medium mode to block all 3rd party scripts and frames by default. Nothing really gets through this way and it's easy to whitelist sites that I trust.

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
You forgot to check two lists in the Ads category (2/4). I enabled advanced user medium mode to block all 3rd party scripts and frames by default.

Oops, all sorted.
Is advanced user medium mode necessary? I just want a solution where i can install and forget in a way, and would rather not set anything up. I mean, i do run MBAM extension, & Netcraft as 2 of my extensions, which should stop most things alongside my AV solution.

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
It depends on your browsing habits if you need advanced user mode. But the point of it is to use a default-deny posture against 3rd party scripts in the browser. When you block all 3rd party scripts by default the need for more filter lists decreases since you block them indiscriminately. So if you decide not to use medium mode, then I would say you should use as many filter lists as possible. Only problem is the more filters you use the more your computer resources get used up and it can also break many legit websites. Also no filter is perfect including extensions like MBAM, they will all fail at one point or another if they are not up to date. Filters work by using a blacklist, and default-deny works by using a whitelist. Whitelists are easier to manage than blacklists since they don't need to be up to date all the time.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It depends on your browsing habits if you need advanced user mode. But the point of it is to use a default-deny posture against 3rd party scripts in the browser. When you block all 3rd party scripts by default the need for more filter lists decreases since you block them indiscriminately. So if you decide not to use medium mode, then I would say you should use as many filter lists as possible. Only problem is the more filters you use the more your computer resources get used up and it can also break many legit websites. Also no filter is perfect including extensions like MBAM, they will all fail at one point or another if they are not up to date. Filters work by using a blacklist, and default-deny works by using a whitelist. Whitelists are easier to manage than blacklists since they don't need to be up to date all the time.

Agreed! I use medium mode most of the time but I have the following enabled for those occasions when I revert to easy mode. Medium mode acts as a browser firewall this way, and is the mode recommended by Gorhill, et. al..

The filters I use are:

Nano AdBlock built-in: All
Easy List
Easy Privacy
Fanboy's Annoyance
No Coin
Peter Lowe's Ad & Tracking server list
squidblacklist malicious
1hosts
1hosts addon
vxvault

And I keep StevenBlacks host list on hand, don't ask me why exactly. These work well for me if I have a site I don't wish to unbreak in medium mode. I don't test but others do and probably know much more than I. You can consult via PM with @Evjl's Rain, @HarborFront, and others I can't think of right now. Also this thread Q&A - [Updated 6/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings for testing results, suggestions and discussion generally. In there you will find what you need. I highly recommend learning to use Medium Mode. Once you start with a little trial and error, you will easily see how it works. Viewing this video is highly recommended. It will give you all you need. :)(y)

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
1hosts
1hosts addon

i tried adding 1hosts + addon through "FilterLists", however it shows 0 out of 0 used, and there are no links or anything within the actual filter file when viewed, but i added vxvault and squid as the rest are already in Nano.
Also just added hphosts full file for all rounded protection (530,000 sites/links) as per @Evjl's Rain testing, alongside MBAM, that should be all good for now until i feel like getting into medium mode i guess

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I saw @Evjl's Rain testing squidblacklist lately and i'm interested to know how useful is it? The name alone draws me in :LOL:

Go to the Master with questions > PM @Evjl's Rain! One thing I do know is to check whether any filter has recent/regular updates. If none, trash. What I can say is that Edge browser with Nano Adblocker as I have configured is locked down! (y):)

Reactions: Weebarra

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
Reactions: Weebarra and Thirio

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
My current filters in use include all the ones within Nano Adblocker, but not including Experimental and Region/Languages. I also have 5 custom filters including:
  • Squidblacklist
  • hpHosts
  • hpHosts Partial
  • 1hosts
  • vxvault

Last edited:

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
Overkill right here? From the 5 custom lists to the 18 that i now have.

Probably.

Currently i am using 1,183MB of Memory with Chrome according to Task Manager, and that is with YouTube, MalwareTips, and Nano Dashboard tabs open and 9 extensions.

Attachments

• Overkill, most likely..PNG
    Overkill, most likely..PNG
    96.1 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
What could be a good adblocker for Mozilla and Edge along

If you do not want to get into medium mode as others recommended to me, and just want a simple solution like i do. Then i would recommend Nano Adblocker for Edge, and just install some extra filters if you feel like.

For Firefox, i could recommend just keeping uBlock O as there is no Nano Adblocker for it, and also installing filters if necessary.

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
what are the recommended filters to install for both?

Well first thing i would do is make sure you tick all built-in filters within the extensions. Just not the "experimental" filter, and also not regions/languages unless you need one. Also tick all within "Annoyances, Privacy, Ads, Malware Domains, and Multipurpose". That is your main ones out the way.

Apart from that, the custom filters i recommend are hpHosts + hpHosts partial, and 1hosts, and Energized Ultimate.

HOWEVER, everyone has their own idea and choice, for some reason i am the overkill idea.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Overkill right here? From the 5 custom lists to the 18 that i now have.

Probably.

Currently i am using 1,183MB of Memory with Chrome according to Task Manager, and that is with YouTube, MalwareTips, and Nano Dashboard tabs open and 9 extensions.

Way past regular overkill. You're now in the land of "The Paranoid Overdead"! :LOL: I would strongly suggest you remove most of those filters, including many of the built-in filters. Please try to reduce your number of filter such as I have. In my example below, you could enable squid malicious and energized. That's really all you need, except in your case you may want to enable a YouTube filter if the suggested list isn't effective in YouTube. Even with all of my filters enabled I only have 340,000. You must have a million or more! This number is unnecessary, a total waste and inefficient!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    53.1 KB · Views: 576

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
You're now in the land of "The Paranoid Overdead"

I realised, lol. Nano says "1,755,916 network filters + 131,754 cosmetic filters" :p

Atleast my computer is not dying on me, i guess that is the main thing, running smoothly on Chrome although something is blocking YouTube comments and auto-play and suggestions once on a video :eek:

For some reason i had 3 versions of Energized, although 2 of them are part of Ultimate anyway IIRC, so got rid of them, lol.

The fact i have squidblacklist malicious, 1hosts, & vxvault is thanks to a previous comment of yours, but 1hosts is quite good.

NOT MY FAULT THEY ARE ALL BEING USED AND DOING THEIR OWN THING, PSHT. :emoji_flushed:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Besides my own custom filters to block mostly MSN.com ads (around 100), I use these, with fairly good performance on Chromium and almost no ads getting through. I like that there's very little overlap:

Attachments

• Nano.png
    Nano.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 479
Status
Not open for further replies.