Advice Request Neat Office anyone ever heard of it

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I always buy digital licenses of Office (for family members). I know it might not be completely legal, but it is the cheapest way to get Office 2019 on a Windows 10 machine (and with all the Windows Defender Attack Surface Reduction options, Office is a decent option for home users).

I had promised a family member to upgrade a Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 tomorrow evening, so I was looking on how easy it would be to use Office online. That was a disappointing experience (to much hurdles for people used to old Office desktop suite).

Surpringly I found in the Windows Store a "free" Office app (worth $199). Normally I don;t trust these offers which are to good to be true, so I loaded a clean Windows 10 image and tried to install it from the Windows Store.

After installation it seemded to be a ' rebranded version' of open office/ libre office. It's executables look to be unsigned (which is no problem when updates come through the M$ store and even an extra security benefit when using UAC deny elevation of unsigned).

Any experiences - thoughts on NEAT OFFICE?

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

lThinkFreel

Level 2
Jun 24, 2019
As far as i know its a Libre Office copie. It does not have for example the extension manager. I would use the original, instead of a copy. They have a copie from VLC player too, they just changed the name and icon. I wonder if they are allowed to do these things?

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Thanks for the responses (y)

I always go with the original (it is also fishy pretending it cost $199 and is now for free).

Reactions: oldschool

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Here's a decent Office alternative we use at the shop.

WPS

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
(it is also fishy pretending it cost $199 and is now for free).
I believe it's any of these reasons;
1. 100% discount to mock Microsoft Office
2. Get mentioned/linked on discount sites (ie. HotUKDeals)
3. Consumers love getting stuff for free
4. Always appears in Sale lists, when in actual fact it should be listed as Free.

L

Local Host

Still using my free Office 365 (honestly mostly use the OneDrive storage), given away by my company.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I stopped using Microsoft Office when I came across Softmaker Office you may take a look at it?
I'm a fan of Softmaker Office, I have licenses for 365 but as I don't need Outlook, I like the simplicity of Softmaker & how good it is at preserving formatting of MS DOCX etc. 365 is great but for me at this time unnecessarily complex, any issues & Softmaker could be removed & fully re-installed in minutes, worth the trial?

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I'm a fan of Softmaker Office, I have licenses for 365 but as I don't need Outlook, I like the simplicity of Softmaker & how good it is at preserving formatting of MS DOCX etc. 365 is great but for me at this time unnecessarily complex, any issues & Softmaker could be removed & fully re-installed in minutes, worth the trial?

Yes, I like SM very much, too. Never had any issues. The price is excellent the product performance and compatibility with MS office are to be considered. I don't use MS office and I don't need OneDrive storage as I don't trust its privacy. I know $5.99/month is seducing but I prefer to pay a little more and stay confident about the privacy of my files.

L

Local Host

You can install Office 365 in modules, you don't have to install the whole package. I say this cause you claimed you don't use Office 365 just because you don't need Outlook, and find it complicated.

But I understand if you having issues customizing the Office 365 Setup (to install only the modules you want), the feature is mostly there for the Enterprise (if you don't know how to create the file manually, you can use the Office Deployment Tool).

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I had paid 200GB Mega storage and I switched to OneDrive. MS office is included. I still use WPS office as a PDF reader especially on Android.
I recommend Ms office or WPS office if you want something similar and awesome.
PS: I don't care privacy issue bla bla ...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.