RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Sorry if wrong section. I was sent this file by a stranger, theorically containing "Spotify Accounts". I have no VM now, so i used SandBoxie and file requested to enable content. I did so and despite it was sandboxed, VS blocked a JS script from Appdata (safe because it was sandboxed). As i have no VM and i do not fully trust this software, i'm giving you guys the file. If anybody wants to analyse it, go ahead :)

For a password i used the old "infected":

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sorry if wrong section. I was sent this file by a stranger, theorically containing "Spotify Accounts". I have no VM now, so i used SandBoxie and file requested to enable content. I did so and despite it was sandboxed, VS blocked a JS script from Appdata (safe because it was sandboxed). As i have no VM and i do not fully trust this software, i'm giving you guys the file. If anybody wants to analyse it, go ahead :)

For a password i used the old "infected":

How can a file contain "spotify accounts"? Does that make sense to anyone here?

Reactions: RoboMan

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
If you open a Word file and you get JS scripts, you can be 100% sure it is malware.
You can bet your last dollar on it.
I agree as well! But it's always nice to share it and giving you guys something to play with :rolleyes:

And maybe our researchers/analyzers would like to analyse it and trace it down, whatever they want to do :)

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Code:
Function abfcacbee() As String
    Dim bbfcdbcbe As Object
    Set bbfcdbcbe = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    deebadabfadbddef = "\cfeaabcfaccbf.js"
    babfdacaffcdcadff = CStr(bbfcdbcbe.GetSpecialFolder(2))

Just a very quick look at the VT report tells us about the method GetSpecialFolder of the FileSystemObject object that returns the path of some Windows folders. The method in question accepts a single parameter that can be valued as:

(0) WindowsFolder - system files folder

(1) SystemFolder - folder of the libraries, fonts and drives

I this case:

(2) TemporaryFolder - temporary file folder.

But an extended analysis of the sample and of any dropped files may give us more info about its behavior.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.