Need help with SSD install and RAM questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Hi guys,

I have a HP P6750z which is only SATA II. I ordered a OCZ 60GB SSD for it and 8gb of Crucial Ballistix. Here are the links to both.
Memory
SSD Hard Drive

When I received the RAM Newegg shipped it is a yellow envelope in the retail packaging which was just a plastic packaging. It looked like someone folded the envelope in half very hard. Enough to crack the plastic packaging and bend the corners of the heatsinks. I inspected them thoroughly for any other damage and didn't see any. I decided to open them and give them a shot since I really needed them. The heatsinks bent right back into place, and the computer fired right up with them in there. I removed the two 2x2gb sticks that were in there for HP. Can I use them in the other two slots for a total of 12gb or should I just leave them out? Also, the memory is rated to run at 7-7-7-24. Mine are not running at this speed for some reason. The BIOS is also locked so I cant change the timings. I am getting 8-8-8-26. From what I have read online this means the ram is faulty as it is programmed to run at certain timings at different speed levels. I don't know how true this is, but I have not noticed any errors, or BSOD. What do you guys think?

I am not familiar with SSD's and I have never owned one. This will be my first one. My computer has a 750gb 7200RPM Sata II hard drive in it from HP. When the SSD arrives Monday should I install Windows and my programs to the SSD and use the 750gb hard drive for storage and backups? Also, another problem I have notices is my computer is SATA II. The SSD is capable of SATA II, but it is really a SATA III hard drive. My computer has two PCI Express x1 slots available and a PCI Express x1 minicard socket which I am not sure of what that is. Is there a cheap reliable SATA controller available I can use to upgrade to SATA III? I plan on purchasing a motherboard in the future, and upgrading the processor. Just need a SATA III controller to get be by for now.

Thanks,
Rocky

mr.lashpash

Oct 18, 2012
SSD will improve your PC performence as compare to HDD.
But Sata 3 revision SSD will work much better on Sate 3 Controller as Compare to Sata 2 controller.
you should upgrade your pc with Sate 3 Revision board.
but your this SSD will work fine on your PC are compare to you HDD

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
you shouldn't mix two different kind of memories (two from samsung and two from corsair for instance); it's like wearing two different kind of shoes on each foot. So only the 8GB and sell or give someone the 2x2GB that might need them.

SATA III that's got good feedback, read the feedback and make your own opinion

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Valentin N said:
you shouldn't mix two different kind of memories (two from samsung and two from corsair for instance); it's like wearing two different kind of shoes on each foot. So only the 8GB and sell or give someone the 2x2GB that might need them.

Even if the timings on the RAM are identical?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Tom172 said:
Valentin N said:

Even if the timings on the RAM are identical?

Timings is not everything; different rams operate in a different way so in order to prevent obstacle and collision it's better to have ram model from the same manufacturer.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree,I would always use memory from the same manufacturer.If they were the same manufacturer you could have installed the 2x2Gb sticks as long as they were the same module 1333.If you know your MOBO manufacturer you should be able to look up the ram configuration and it should tell you which combinations work best.Mixing modules{1300,1600,ect.} and timings{it will only run at the lowest timing unless overclocked} might work but it is safer to use the same.You can always get more ram later but if it was me I would get another 2x4gb of the crucial and have everything the same.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Valentin N said:
you shouldn't mix two different kind of memories (two from samsung and two from corsair for instance); it's like wearing two different kind of shoes on each foot.

As long as your RAM is the same type, (Don't mix DDR with DDR2 or buffered with un-buffered or ECC with non-ECC...) I wouldn't expect any trouble.

If you're running different latencies, you'll obviously lose any performance gained from the modules with lower ratings, but it should function without any issues.

If you have any questions whether or not your RAM is functioning as it should, Memtest86+ will let you know if your RAM is throwing any errors.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
HeffeD said:
Valentin N said:
you shouldn't mix two different kind of memories (two from samsung and two from corsair for instance); it's like wearing two different kind of shoes on each foot.

As long as your RAM is the same type, (Don't mix DDR with DDR2 or buffered with un-buffered or ECC with non-ECC...) I wouldn't expect any trouble.

If you're running different latencies, you'll obviously lose any performance gained from the modules with lower ratings, but it should function without any issues.

If you have any questions whether or not your RAM is functioning as it should, Memtest86+ will let you know if your RAM is throwing any errors.

This is what I thought. I guess it depends on your usage scenario. If you need high reliability on the other hand then it's probably best to stick to matching parts.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OT: I have mixed RAM (different manufacturers), not my fault. Anyway, I plan to upgrade to 4GB in 2013.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Tom172 said:
This is what I thought. I guess it depends on your usage scenario. If you need high reliability on the other hand then it's probably best to stick to matching parts.

Surprisingly enough, most people are actually using matching parts and didn't realize it. ;)

There really aren't that many manufacturers of RAM chips. There are many companies that assemble RAM modules, but they don't actually make the chips.

Samsung is probably the biggest RAM chip supplier, with only a single company in the U.S. that makes RAM chips, which is Micron (Crucial).

For example, I've owned Corsair modules with Micron chips, and OCZ and Mushkin modules with Samsung chips.

ramondavis

Dec 19, 2012
Mixing two different kind of memories will create more complication and instillation will not be more favorable.
You should go though user manual deeply.I am sure you will find solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.